Front offside intermittent noise.

Faults and Technical chat for the Hyundai Tucson
Mally

Post by Mally »

Had my tucson just over week now when driving I get a noise from front offside very intermittent sound like the brake is put on just for a sound but doesn't slow the vehicle down :?:

old man

Post by old man »

Mally wrote: Mon May 08, 2023 8:57 am Had my tucson just over week now when driving I get a noise from front offside very intermittent sound like the brake is put on just for a sound but doesn't slow the vehicle down :?:
What year and model is your car ?
Tucson N Line S 2WD Hybrid Auto
Mally

Post by Mally »

Oops sorry 2020 tucson nav48v mhev
old man

Post by old man »

Mally wrote: Mon May 08, 2023 9:50 am Oops sorry 2020 tucson nav48v mhev
Knowing which model you have may help identify the noise you have by others with the same model.
I can't help I'm afraid as mine is a HEV which can be prone to making odd noises under battery power, but not under normal driving conditions usually.
domestoz

Post by domestoz »

I have that on my 2023 Hybrid. I think it's part of the battery regen via the brakes, as it sounds like the brake is being applied.
2023 N LINE S Hybrid 230
old man

Post by old man »

If it's regeneration, then the OP must have instigated it by easing off the accelerator and coasting, or by braking.
If the noise is occuring under normal forward propulsion, then the cause of the noise could well be down to another cause and a dealer visit is the way to go.
PhilHornby

Post by PhilHornby »

domestoz wrote: Mon May 08, 2023 11:44 am I have that on my 2023 Hybrid. I think it's part of the battery regen via the brakes, as it sounds like the brake is being applied.

The brakes don't play any part in battery regeneration though - they're just brakes, they never produce electricity. Regenerative braking, is the braking effect you get when you extract electrical energy from a motor/generator. That energy has to come from somewhere, so a side effect is that the vehicle slows down. (Electric lawnmowers and Scalextrics controllers have a very crude version that just short-circuits the motor, to make it slow down rapidly).
N Line S Hybrid (HEV).
23 plate - built Nov '22
old man

Post by old man »

How do mild hybrids work?
As the name suggests, a mild hybrid system offers only gentle electrical assistance to the engine – not enough for the car to drive on electric power alone. The systems work in slightly different ways from brand to brand, but in general, they assist the engine under hard acceleration and help make its stop-start system smoother in operation.

Such systems can also harvest energy when the brakes are applied, converting it into electricity that's fed to the lithium-ion battery to provide extra assistance when it's needed. On average, a car with mild hybrid technology is said to be up to 15% more efficient than its conventional counterpart.

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post