Seat Settings for Other Driver Applied After Bluelink App Use?

Faults and Technical chat for the Hyundai Tucson
GrumpyDad

Post by GrumpyDad »

I am doing a little reconnaissance before contacting Hyundai with this problem. I'm wondering if anybody else has experienced this, or something similar. Of course, if anybody has an explanation, I'd love to hear it.

The vehicle in question is a 2023 Tucson Ultimate, but I'm guessing may affect other versions that have more than one driver profile stored to the car, with Bluelink access on the profiles. This has occurred once when the vehicle was parked with the engine off (explained below), but also once when the car was in use. The fact that it happened when the car was in use, and the potential danger that presents is what has me concerned more than anything else.

So, scenario one:
My wife is driving the car. At this moment in time the vehicle is stationary, with the engine running. The auto-hold is engaged (parking brake disengaged). The vehicle is in first gear, with the clutch disengaged. Suddenly, the driver's seat starts to move back and up (not to be confused with the back motion when you open the driver's door). Fortunately, my wife was alert enough, and our seating positions not so vastly different, so there wasn't a disaster (her foot coming off the clutch, for example).

The position that the seat moved to was setting 1 on my driver profile, however we know the entertainment system had remained set to her profile, as she was streaming music from her phone, and it continued to play (Her driver profile has only her phone synced, and my driver profile has only my phone synced). Additionally, she checked the touchscreen, and it was still showing her driver profile picture. Once the car was stopped and restarted, the seat position remained where it was (excusing the movement for opening the driver door), despite still being in her profile, but pressing the button for position 2 moved the chair to my profile's position 2 (despite the car entertainment system definitely being on my wife's profile). I switched profile to my profile and the seat position buttons continued to select my seat positions, and then switched the profile back to my wife's profile, and then the position 1 and 2 buttons moved the seat to my wife's seat position settings, as would be expected when her profile is active.

Scenario two:
I was driving the car. This time I had arrived at a shop, parked, and turned off the car engine. Done the shopping, and when I started the car, the driver's seat position started putting itself into my wife's driving position, despite the last driver profile that was engaged being my profile, and I had not confirmed either profile on the start up screen. I confirmed on my profile, but the driver position selection buttons were my wife's seating position, despite the entertainment unit showing my profile, and it had connected to my phone (Further confirming that it was indeed set to my driver profile). As with the previous scenario, I switched profile (to my wife's), the seat position settings remained with her positions, but my phone disconnected and the profile image changed to hers). Then I switched back to my profile, and the seat reverted to my seating position, and my phone reconnected.

Now, in both of these scenarios, the Bluelink app had been used by the person who was not driving the car. We have no way of knowing whether the app was being used at exactly the same time as the seat change occurred in scenario one. Of course, with scenario two the app was used during the time when the car was turned off. This is the only thing that I can think of that can be related to both occurrences, although it is very concerning if opening the Bluelink app is interfering with the driver's seating position. Of course, if it isn't related to the Bluelink app, it is still extremely concerning (and potentially very dangerous). For what it's worth, the Bluelink app use when my wife was driving the car was to add address details to my favourites list. When I was driving, my wife was checking on the state of the car because she received a notification that the lights were on and the car was unlocked. The lights were on (I leave the dipped lights on when parked in public car parks or on the street), although the car was locked. (Clearly I had not locked it quickly enough to prevent the car panicking that I had forgotten to lock it - seriously, this car rats you out quicker that a commercial jumbo jet will rat a pilot out to their airline!)

So, if anybody else has any experience of the non-active driver's seating position being applied inappropriately, I'd be very interested to hear about it. Mainly, whether you can attribute the use of the Bluelink app to the same time period, or not.
2023 1.6 TGDi 150 Ultimate, manual 2WD in red, with black interior.

Fantastic gadgets and tech, shame about certain "Safety" features...
(Lane Keeping Assistance having to be manually disengaged every start up, I'm looking at you!)

alan sh

Post by alan sh »

That does sound serious. Contact Hyundai. I can't help you because I just have one profile with two seat settings, one for me and one for my wife.

Alan
Alan

I own a 2022 Ultimate Hybrid with Tech Pack - in Red (best colour).
Also have two motorcycles. Honda CB1300 and Honda CBF1000 (also red, of course).
Pogleswood

Post by Pogleswood »

Out of interest do you both use the same key?, reason for asking was on our previous car BMW 4 series the driver profiles were coded to the key fobs, I’ve not tried it on the Tuscon as we both use the same key as we’ve only one car now and just use 1 or 2 depending who is driving, only difference is my wife doesn’t have blue link on her phone it’s only connected via Bluetooth & Wi-Fi to the Motorola wireless adapter so she still has Google maps & music streaming.
GrumpyDad

Post by GrumpyDad »

Thanks for the replies so far.

Alan, I agree and I'm going to bring it to Hyundai's attention, I'm just holding off for a week or so because (as I understand it) their European office is experiencing some serious technical issues right now.

Pogleswood, we each use a specific key fob (mainly because my wife seems to have enough keys to be a gaoler, and insists on having them attached to her key fob; I prefer to have nothing but a "If found, reward for return" tag attached to mine). As far as I can tell, the Hyundai system defaults to the last used driver profile.

(Lane Keeping Assistance having to be manually disengaged every start up, I'm looking at you!)
Deleted User 1711

Post by Deleted User 1711 »

Agree with Alansh, sounds like it's worth a chat with Hyundai as it sounds a bit odd.

This may not be of use but:

Do you have two Bluelink profiles setup? I've checked via the Bluelink app and I only have one registered user profile but have the option of adding another(albeit in my case at least, it looks like i have to register that new profile via the MyHyundai website). In the car however I have two named profiles.

I can't find it via the Bluelink app, but I'm convinced I've seen a setting in the car that is something like 'link to profile'. The idea being I believe, that each user can customize their own settings. I also 'assume' that this includes individual seat settings via the buttons.

Why any of the above would cause your issue however ....
GrumpyDad

Post by GrumpyDad »

Hi DotDotDotDot,

Yes we have individual profiles for Bluelink and also in the car. And you are correct, if you have individual Bluelink accounts you have pair them to individual profiles in the car. When you do that, you can do things like edit your own "Favourites" for the SatNav on your phone and have them accessible on your profile in the car.

(If you want to do the same, you have to send an invite from the primary Bluelink/driver profile to the second driver's Bluelink account. You may have to delete the second driver profile in the car before doing this and recreate it, I can't remember if we created the in car profile first, or if the car's systems created it when we linked the second Bluelink account.)

This individual profile system for Bluelink is actually what initially made me think the app may have been connected to the issue. I just can't wrap my head around what ghosts in the machine the coders for Hyundai would have had to create, in order for an app that has no way to switch the profile the car is using, nor to adjust the seat positions, to cause the car to apply the non-active profile's seat settings.

I'm going to try and experiment with our phones this weekend, to try and find at least a pattern to when it will do it. The thing is we use the app on a semi regular basis, and this has only happened these two times. So before I contact Hyundai, I am trying to get any examples and possible reasons together, otherwise their tech department won't have anything to work with.

Deleted User 1711

Post by Deleted User 1711 »

GrumpyDad wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2024 11:15 am I'm going to try and experiment with our phones this weekend, to try and find at least a pattern to when it will do it. The thing is we use the app on a semi regular basis, and this has only happened these two times. So before I contact Hyundai, I am trying to get any examples and possible reasons together, otherwise their tech department won't have anything to work with.
Sounds like a sensible plan.

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post