Battery charge

All Hyundai Tucson related discussions
Lesd

Post by Lesd »

Hi guys

I have noticed when driving that the battery charge never seems to go above circa 65%. Does anyone know if this is normal and acceptable? This is whilst driving in Eco mode. I have read on the US forum a similar topic and someone says that when switching to Sport mode he noticed it went to 100%. I haven’t tried that as yet but will.

I assume the car is designed to operate in this way if indeed it is happening to all the latest Tucsons and will not be affected by battery memory loss although I don’t think Lithium Ion batteries do suffer from that assuming the battery is a LI.

Not sure if driving in Sport Mode all the time will affect the fuel consumption.

Les
Tucson Hybrid 230hp, Premium spec

jarvis

Post by jarvis »

Lithium ion batteries don't like to be fully charged or fully discharged and as you say, don't suffer from memory effect. I found with mine that after a few hundred miles, the car started to allow a wider range of charge so it is likely programmed that way to allow the powertrain to be "run in".

Also, if you have some steep hills to drive down you might notice a higher state of charge after that but the car will try to use up that charge as soon as possible by using EV mode more readily
Deleted User 1130

Post by Deleted User 1130 »

jarvis wrote: Fri May 12, 2023 6:19 am Lithium ion batteries don't like to be fully charged or fully discharged and as you say, don't suffer from memory effect.
Research along with some longer term EV testing has shown that EV batteries typically degrade by circa 2.3% per year. So in 4 years time ( when the majority of PCP finance agreements end ), the batteries will effectively charge to 91% of their original capacity. That doesn't sound too bad, but I'm hoping mine is less, as I'm currently expecting to keep the car 'in the family' for longer than that or maybe until the 8 year battery warranty expires. Time will tell ...

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post