Hybrid question: total EV running time

All Hyundai Tucson related discussions
TWPC

Post by TWPC »

We've had our hybrid Tucson since December. The 'EV' light appears gratifyingly often.

I'd be interested to know if there is any way of finding out the percentage of total driving time (since new) that it has been running on the electric motor only. Is that possible? I cannot find anything in the infotainment system with that info. I have not reset anything since getting the car.
Hyundai Tucson Hybrid Ultimate
Amazon Grey

PhilHornby

Post by PhilHornby »

TWPC wrote: Fri Jun 09, 2023 9:43 am The 'EV' light appears gratifyingly often.
Technically, the "EV" light means that the clutch is disengaged (this info from some Kia enthusiasts who paid for access to the online manual). It is possible for the ICE to be running and the "EV" light be on (with the electric motor or gravity propelling the vehicle). That is most common when moving-off, or reversing.

I have only really noticed it once on the move, after ascending a steep dual-carriageway at speed, with the road descending equally steeply on the other side of the hill (A38 Devon). Presumably, it was using the HSG as well as the motor, to put some charge back in the battery.
I'd be interested to know if there is any way of finding out the percentage of total driving time (since new) that it has been running on the electric motor only.
I've not come across that information anywhere.
N Line S Hybrid (HEV).
23 plate - built Nov '22
terryp

Post by terryp »

I've noticed on several occasions that the rev counter is still showing revs while the EV light has come on. Thisonly lasts for a second or two but verifies the comments from Phil.
Tucson Ultimate Auto 230PS in Dark Teal. Love it!!
jarvis

Post by jarvis »

terryp wrote: Sat Jun 10, 2023 9:12 am I've noticed on several occasions that the rev counter is still showing revs while the EV light has come on. Thisonly lasts for a second or two but verifies the comments from Phil.
I've also seen that for even longer like when slowing down on a dual carriageway approaching a roundabout. Foot is off the accelerator and not yet on the brake and the EV lamp is on but the engine continues to idle. Usually when I start braking it stops, almost as if it was hedging it's bets, so to speak, about whether I would accelerate again. It might even be "running lean" to help clear out the GPF?

By contrast, soon after starting the car it sometimes runs on the electric motor but with the engine running at higher but continuous revs, providing the electricity for the motor and charging the battery as well. During that type of operation it doesn't show the EV lamp.
TWPC

Post by TWPC »

PhilHornby wrote: Sat Jun 10, 2023 1:21 am
TWPC wrote: Fri Jun 09, 2023 9:43 am The 'EV' light appears gratifyingly often.
Technically, the "EV" light means that the clutch is disengaged (this info from some Kia enthusiasts who paid for access to the online manual). It is possible for the ICE to be running and the "EV" light be on (with the electric motor or gravity propelling the vehicle). That is most common when moving-off, or reversing.

I have only really noticed it once on the move, after ascending a steep dual-carriageway at speed, with the road descending equally steeply on the other side of the hill (A38 Devon). Presumably, it was using the HSG as well as the motor, to put some charge back in the battery.
I'd be interested to know if there is any way of finding out the percentage of total driving time (since new) that it has been running on the electric motor only.
I've not come across that information anywhere.
Thank you Phil, Terry and Jarvis for the responses above.
Apologies for being so slow in getting back!
Hyundai Tucson Hybrid Ultimate
Amazon Grey

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post