Bluelink battery percentage question

All Hyundai Tucson related discussions
discjockeyr

Post by discjockeyr »

hi guys, sorry for my late response. I am using the cable that provided with the car so no fast chargers. After several charges i can confirm that the battery needs about 14-14.5kwh to be fully charged (measured with 2 different smart energy consumption plugs) depending on the safety point that remains on the battery usualy 15-20%. Also i found that by selecting the 10amps option on charger is losing less overall consumption compared to 6amp option.

ExTyke

Post by ExTyke »

I would expect the higher charging rates to be most effecient. Now we are experiencing a cold spell charging effeciency will also reduce.

Although expensive to install I would recommend a wall charger. They are safer, tend to charge more effeciently and if you get one compatible with the Octopus Intelligent tariff then you can charge overnight at 7.5 p per kWh (and as you get 6 hours at that rate is a great way to run a dishwasher, washing machine etc. )
Ultimate PHEV in Dark Knight

Ordered 6th Aug 2022
Arrived Tilbury 6th June 23
Collected by me :D 18 June 23
discjockeyr

Post by discjockeyr »

I am from Cyprus and we have a flat rate 24/7. Rate now is about 30c per kwh. Last night my car was at 43% battery and drain 9.99kwh to full. Seems that is better to leave to drain as much possible the battery and then charge it as seems to lose less energy.
PhilHornby

Post by PhilHornby »

ExTyke wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2023 6:32 pm I would expect the higher charging rates to be most effecient. Now we are experiencing a cold spell charging effeciency will also reduce.
Cold weather might be pertinent in more ways than one. Presumably, when below freezing, the battery pack has to be warmed up before charging. This overhead would be an increasingly higher proportion, the lower the available charging current. In fact, if the charging current is low enough, it could theoretically use all of it ;)

I wonder how big the heater is and if it needs to operate throughout the charge cycle. (AIUI, a Lithium battery pack would not self-heat when charging - except possibly, when connected to some monster DC charge point).
N Line S Hybrid (HEV).
23 plate - built Nov '22

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post