Undertray trashed

All Hyundai Tucson related discussions
ClassicPete

Post by ClassicPete »

While out driving yesterday in the rainstorms I happened to catch the edge of a large mass of standing water with the nearside wheels. This was on a road with a 60mph limit, in the dark and with only dipped headlights on. I didn't think anything of it at the time, except as I approached home I could hear something rubbing or grating as I moved along. Inspection at home showed that there was a large piece of moulded card hanging down under the passengers door.
More detailed inspection, once it had stopped raining showed that the card was the remnants of an undertray that runs almost the full length of the nearside of the car and presumably the force of the water had broken the tray almost completely in two, and also broken one of the side fixing bolts.
Now trying to effect a temporary repair until such time that it can be replaced.
2023 Hyundai Tucson Ultimate Hybrid 230 Amazon Grey/Moss Grey trim
1990 MG Maestro Turbo #436 of 505
1973 Semi-works Austin Allegro Rally Car
Tucson Ordered 9/8/22
Arrived Tilbury 21/12/22
Collected 27/1/23

Indalo

Post by Indalo »

ClassicPete wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2023 10:44 am Now trying to effect a temporary repair until such time that it can be replaced.
Will you need to break into the piggy bank or is it worth an insurance claim? I guess a warranty claim would be turned down?
2023 Tucson Hybrid (HEV) Ultimate; ordered 12/05/23 - collected from dealership 07/06/23.
ClassicPete

Post by ClassicPete »

Indalo wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2023 2:16 pm
Will you need to break into the piggy bank or is it worth an insurance claim? I guess a warranty claim would be turned down?
Its going to be a piggy bank job. Car is due its first service next month, so want to try and get it sorted before then so I don't get the hard sell from a main agent to buy a new part.
Tucson Ordered 9/8/22
Arrived Tilbury 21/12/22
Collected 27/1/23
Indalo

Post by Indalo »

ClassicPete wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2023 7:51 pm Its going to be a piggy bank job.
Given my recent dealings with my insurer, I too would choose to foot the bill myself.

Sadly, there are factors beyond our control that can’t realistically be predicted and factored into the upkeep of our personal transport. I hope the total cost of repair/replacement of the undertray doesn’t turn out to be stupid money!
2023 Tucson Hybrid (HEV) Ultimate; ordered 12/05/23 - collected from dealership 07/06/23.
Deleted User 1711

Post by Deleted User 1711 »

ClassicPete wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2023 10:44 am While out driving yesterday in the rainstorms I happened to catch the edge of a large mass of standing water with the nearside wheels. This was on a road with a 60mph limit, in the dark and with only dipped headlights on. I didn't think anything of it at the time, except as I approached home I could hear something rubbing or grating as I moved along. Inspection at home showed that there was a large piece of moulded card hanging down under the passengers door.
More detailed inspection, once it had stopped raining showed that the card was the remnants of an undertray that runs almost the full length of the nearside of the car and presumably the force of the water had broken the tray almost completely in two, and also broken one of the side fixing bolts.
Now trying to effect a temporary repair until such time that it can be replaced.
Just a thought, but I'd take a look on ebay. There are NX4 parts appearing all the time. Last 'complete' undertray I saw was £50 + carriage. Used parts obviously so I guess you take a chance, but suspect it will be far cheaper than a new part.
roadster

Post by roadster »

Thanks or this. I have just checked mine and sure enough the nearside undertray has some damage, though not enough to break loose. A supposedly rugged 4X4 that get damage by a few deep puddles, thats disappointing!
Tucson PHEV Premium
ClassicPete

Post by ClassicPete »

Managed to locate a second hand tray from a breakers here in the Midlands. Cost me £120 and a couple of gallons of fuel to collect. Then half an hour to remove the old one and refit the replacement. All straight forward with 7 bolts and 3 rivnut style fixings.
Pics show the trashed one alongside the replacement

20240106_104245.jpg

Tucson Ordered 9/8/22
Arrived Tilbury 21/12/22
Collected 27/1/23
Deleted User 1711

Post by Deleted User 1711 »

ClassicPete wrote: Sat Jan 06, 2024 11:21 am Managed to locate a second hand tray from a breakers here in the Midlands. Cost me £120 and a couple of gallons of fuel to collect. Then half an hour to remove the old one and refit the replacement. All straight forward with 7 bolts and 3 rivnut style fixings.
That's quite badly damaged. I wonder if something in addition to the standing pond has impacted that.
ClassicPete

Post by ClassicPete »

DotDotDotDot wrote: Sat Jan 06, 2024 2:26 pm
That's quite badly damaged. I wonder if something in addition to the standing pond has impacted that.
Difficult to say if there were other factors to the damage as its not something that you think about checking, even irregularly. Having said that I did split it in two during the removal, just to make it easier.
Tucson Ordered 9/8/22
Arrived Tilbury 21/12/22
Collected 27/1/23
Robbit

Post by Robbit »

Are those cracks on the two raised center sections on the replacement part?