Auto Express review of new model Tucson - hybrid power reduced to 212hp

All Hyundai Tucson related discussions
TWPC

Post by TWPC »

Auto Express have reviewed the face-lifted Tucson.
They like it, as they did pre-facelift, but unsurprisingly don't consider it a massive step forward.
I was surprised to read that the reported power outputs of the hybrid and PHEV models have been reduced. Meanwhile the rating for the petrol engine has been increased from 148hp to 158hp. Personally I prefer the previous design of the front grille and its DRLs and the layout of the old infotainment in it's lower, less in-your-face position. In the facelift I like the physical knobs for the interior temperature control and the new position of the gear selector on the steering column.

https://www.autoexpress.co.uk/hyundai/t ... ets-subtle

I and my family are very happy with our Tucson, which we've owned since Dec 2022. We've done 11,000 miles, have taken it on holidays to the Alps (it was excellent on the autoroutes and in the mountains in mid-winter) and Isle of Wight but most journeys are in London (my wife commutes in it) and the home counties. It is averaging between 45 and 46 mpg.

It has proved big enough, completely reliable apart from a creak from the pano roof, comfortable and popular with all. The children particularly like the amount of room in the back (the boys are over 6 ft tall now) and the heated and cooled seats. Minor disappointments are the power of the A/C and the sound quality of the stereo in comparison to our previous Mk1 Volvo XC90. Positive surprises are the power and acceleration of the thing when you floor it, its quietness, fuel economy and the amount of time it spends running on the electric motor alone. The ride and handling are fine but not special, as expected. My one contact with a Hyundai dealer for the annual service was nothing out of the ordinary. The only unexpected expense was one new tyre following a puncture (Michelin Primacy 4, fitted: £170!). We'll be keeping it for several more years.
Hyundai Tucson Hybrid Ultimate
Amazon Grey

Indalo1

Post by Indalo1 »

TWPC wrote: Fri Jun 28, 2024 10:07 am Auto Express have reviewed the face-lifted Tucson.
They like it, as they did pre-facelift, but unsurprisingly don't consider it a massive step forward.
I was surprised to read that the reported power outputs of the hybrid and PHEV models have been reduced. Meanwhile the rating for the petrol engine has been increased from 148hp to 158hp. P
Many thanks for drawing attention to the ‘What Car’ review, ‘TWPC’.

I was more interested in your comments on your own model than in ‘What Car’s. So far, I have found little to whinge about with my Hybrid model and my faith in the brand contributed to my decision to subscribe to a Hyundai Service Plan covering 5 services and a couple of MOT tests right at the outset.

I have always tended to hang on to my personal transport for several years and having the latest registration plate on my car is of zero importance to me unlike those egotistical owners who just must have the newest, the shiniest, the quickest, etc, above all else in life.

As an elderly chap, I may not be around long enough to consider a replacement. Alternatively, health reasons may preclude me from driving so I can’t enthuse much about the latest generation of family cars. The Tucson Hybrid covers most of my demands of a medium-sized family car. One of my children forms part of a two-car family, each of them owning a BEV. I suspect my other kids......well, they are late middle-aged rather than youngsters.....will transition from Audi/BMW I/c engined cars to BEVs sooner rather than later.
Hybrid in Ultimate trim - ordered 12/05/23 - Collected 07/06/23
SteevieWeevie

Post by SteevieWeevie »

I’m glad you mentioned creaking pano, as that’s really one of the few gripes I have with mine. It’s not loud but it’s a Baader-Meinhoff thing where once you notice it, you keep noticing it. When driving at steady lower speeds, it impedes on what is otherwise one of, if not the most, refined drives I’ve ever enjoyed.

I recently had a petrol auto Kona Ultimate as a courtesy car. The car was nice and had better infotainment than my Tucson, wireless Android Auto etc. But the drive was nothing in comparison.

When first seeing that the power had been reduced on the hybrid facelift I thought it might be for improved emissions, but that doesn’t seem the case. The WLTP consumption is marginally better though so guess it’s for that. Realistically I don’t think the power loss will be noticeable because it’s less the power and more about the instant torque you get from then electric motor from standstill. It is so much fun to effortlessly take out bad boy drivers at junctions that don’t expect a bulky chonk like this to launch so immediately and without fuss :lol:

Hadn’t noticed the air con lacking TBH. With ventilated seats it’s a haven on those really hot days.

Headlights are really pants though. That’s something they’ve fixed with the facelift by using LED projectors and matrix LED on the top models.
Tucson Ultimate Hybrid - Shimmering Silver
PhilHornby

Post by PhilHornby »

SteevieWeevie wrote: Sat Jun 29, 2024 11:16 am I recently had a petrol auto Kona Ultimate as a courtesy car. ... But the drive was nothing in comparison.
The dealer lent me a Kona Electric. I was really looking forward to sampling the "EV experience" for the first time, so it came as quite a surprise to find that it was almost exactly the same as driving the Tucson Hybrid :!: (minus the gearchanges, of course).
When first seeing that the power had been reduced on the hybrid facelift I thought it might be for improved emissions, but that doesn’t seem the case.
My thought process too - though I wonder, if maybe it's just a more realistic number. I've not seen figures from a Tucson Hybrid dyno run, but it can't maintain its "Total System Max. Power" - as Hyundai call it - for very long; the battery is very small.

The Hybrid Starter Generator (HSG) is rated at 17HP, so if that comes into play to charge the battery when at Max Power, 17HP presumably needs to be deducted from the ICE power. All quite dynamic!
It is so much fun to effortlessly take out bad boy drivers at junctions that don’t expect a bulky chonk like this to launch so immediately and without fuss :lol:
You'd never catch me doing something so immature :lol:
N Line S Hybrid (HEV).
23 plate - built Nov '22
jarvis

Post by jarvis »

I read that the US model has a slightly more powerful electric motor but retains the 180ps engine.
I suppose we've been given the same updated motor but they've de-tuned the engine. Or rather, settled on the same tuning for both petrol and electrified cars instead of 150/180 respectively as it was pre-facelift
pharaoh

Post by pharaoh »

You'd never catch me doing something so immature :lol:
No, me neither - however, I might be lying as the child in us never dies.
Caught out a Tiguan driver last week, they weren't happy :D
PhilHornby

Post by PhilHornby »

jarvis wrote: Sat Jun 29, 2024 3:25 pm I read that the US model has a slightly more powerful electric motor but retains the 180ps engine.
I suppose we've been given the same updated motor but they've de-tuned the engine. Or rather, settled on the same tuning for both petrol and electrified cars instead of 150/180 respectively as it was pre-facelift
I'm not sure that Hyundai's figures have ever actually added up. The "Total System Power" was supposed to be 230PS (i.e. 226.8Bhp) and the electric motor 44.2KW (59.2Bhp). That would make the current ICE 168Bhp (170PS), which is a figure I've never seen documented...
N Line S Hybrid (HEV).
23 plate - built Nov '22
jarvis

Post by jarvis »

But they used to quote 150ps for the ICE and 180ps for all the "electrified" power trains, before adding on anything for the electric motor. So you can't subtract the motor's output from the total and get the ICE version's power.

Now for the facelift they are quoting 160ps for all the engines, then adding on something for the electric motor.

I presumed that the supposed power of engine plus motor was less than their sum due to some limitation when they were both working at the same time but who knows
Philr

Post by Philr »

Is it correct to use ps as a measurement though? ICE is measured in hp, bhp or ps and electric motor(s) in kW. Surely it needs some sort of total power measurement to be accurate. There's also the issue of the ICE being used far more to charge the traction battery so not all the hp/bhp/ps is available to drive the car. This is true of an ICE car as well, how many seat heaters are in use, aircon etc will affect it, but in a full hybrid it must be a much greater %age of the available power just used to charge the battery.
Phil

I don't have a carbon footprint because I drive everywhere.

2022 Premium HEV
Indalo1

Post by Indalo1 »

Philr wrote: Sun Jun 30, 2024 7:57 am in a full hybrid it must be a much greater %age of the available power just used to charge the battery.
Your point is well-made, ‘Philr’. However, in my limited experience of the 2023 model of the Hybrid, Hyundai seems to have struck the right balance of power management and distribution. Having never experienced a starting failure through the four seasons and left the car unused at Stansted for 17 days, without issue, I have no complaints about the power conservation that permits the little battery to initiate proceeding.

Should that change at some point, I like the back-up feature that allows entry to the vehicle through the fob key upon removal of the end-piece of the driver’s door handle, followed by a press on the relevant button near my right knee - no need to use heavy-duty cables and a friendly motorist, happy to assist in jump-starting the car.

Given that the car provides decent acceleration in most circumstances while still managing to run for fairly long periods on battery power alone, particularly in the urban environment, is something of an achievement. That it also produces fuel economy consistent with many hatchbacks - I’m at 45 mpg average so far - I consider that Hyundai, like Toyota, has done a remarkable job, all things considered.
Hybrid in Ultimate trim - ordered 12/05/23 - Collected 07/06/23

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post