Mandatory speed limits?

All Hyundai Tucson related discussions
alan sh

Post by alan sh »

From the 7th July, there will be mandatory speed limit system on all new cars. Does anyone know how this will affect the new Tucson? I know it can be turned off, but the rules seem to imply that it will be turned on at the next power on (which I really don't want).

Any info gratefully received.

Alan
Alan

I own a 2022 Ultimate Hybrid with Tech Pack - in Red (best colour).
Also have two motorcycles. Honda CB1300 and Honda CBF1000 (also red, of course).

r0n

Post by r0n »

There's a whole load of stuff online about this from I'd suggest much more authoritative sources than some random person posting in a forum .

Autotrader has an article on it which might be worth a read for you.

I'm afraid that it looks as though you're effectively stuffed if you don't want the automatically on by default system as all new cars are going to have it but its best to read up on it yourself.
2023 Tucson - Premium - Petrol - Manual
PhilHornby

Post by PhilHornby »

This article (from that definitive source, the Birmingham Mail ;)) , does at least quote "the UK government" and "the DfT" ...

The UK government says it is still carrying out research as 'mandatory' speed limiters are nine days
away from appearing on cars bound for the country. New laws on Intelligent Speed Assistance (ISA)
in cars will come into effect in the European Union next month, as part of efforts targeting driver safety.

Although the laws don't apply to Great Britain, drivers in the UK could still be impacted. While the
EU shake-up has not been adopted in the UK, manufacturers who build cars in Europe are not
removing ISA specifically for UK-bound cars
. And it could see cars sold in UK dealerships set to be
retrofitted with 'mandatory' speed limiters from July 7.

The EU has brought in the new regulations on ISA under its General Safety Rule (GSR) - which sets
out the minimum safety standards required on vehicles and trailers. Ahead of the rule change by
the EU, the UK's Department for Transport (DfT) has said that the law won't affect British drivers directly.

I bet a Car Salesman would know :lol: :lol: :lol:
N Line S Hybrid (HEV).
23 plate - built Nov '22
Robbit

Post by Robbit »

I wonder if it will be viewed by the insurance companies similar to turning traction control off?

At present, if you have an accident and your car is examined by the insurance assessor, and its found you switched traction control off, the insurer can void your claim under certain conditions. ( Hyundai record its on/off function in the software as do most manufacturers).

My previous private car insurance was specific about this in one of its clauses. Any safety device fitted to the vehicle found to be disabled in the event of an accident would prevent the claim proceeding. I'm not sure about Motability's insurance as I never switch TA off regardless, so not bothered to look.
alan sh

Post by alan sh »

That all just reinforces my decision not to upgrade to the new version just yet but wait and see what happens.

Alan
Alan

Also have two motorcycles. Honda CB1300 and Honda CBF1000 (also red, of course).
MikeSwift

Post by MikeSwift »

I'm sure while messing about with my Tucson colleccted last November there is an option to activate this option, I declined to turn it on.

In my humble opinion it is one of the daftest ideas ever thought of.

I have been in a couple of insidents in my 55 years of driving that a sudden squirt of power has saved me from a serious accident even though it took me obove the speed limit.

My Tucson is a great car with many safety intervetions, Intelligent Cruise Control, Lane Keep Assist, Blind Spot Warnings, but at the end of the day as a driver I need to be in total control.
2023 Tucson Ultimate Automatic Petrol MHEV Serenity White Pearl.
PhilHornby

Post by PhilHornby »

MikeSwift wrote: Tue Jul 02, 2024 12:53 am I'm sure while messing about with my Tucson collected last November there is an option to activate this option, I declined to turn it on.

In my humble opinion it is one of the daftest ideas ever thought of.
AIUI, what they're proposing is that such a system would be "ON" by default, possibly with an option to turn it off for that journey (i.e. like Lane Keep Assist). Also - possibly - a means to temporarily override it, should the need arise. I can't imagine anything worse :(
N Line S Hybrid (HEV).
23 plate - built Nov '22
Indalo1

Post by Indalo1 »

MikeSwift wrote: Tue Jul 02, 2024 12:53 am Iat the end of the day as a driver I need to be in total control.
That’s very much how I feel about the current situation. With so many new tech innovations, some of which default to ‘off’ while others default to ‘on’, not to mention the ‘D’ & ‘R’ placement in the previous gestation of some Tucson models being changed through 180º, in the latest cars, I just get the feeling that we current owners are being used as guinea pigs.

With the concept of driverless cars looming, much of the technology we have been drip-fed in recent times will be utilised and I’m bound to say that I remain a pessimist about the whole notion.

I’m well aware that fly-by-wire- technology in aircraft has been around for many years and I have been given to understand that current aircraft could actually take-off and land without an on-board pilot - it’s just that the public, it has been deemed, isn’t quite ready for that yet - however, after the recent reports of serious mid-air turbulence, I confess to being a nervous flyer these days

As for cars, at such an age where my current car may well be my last, I can’t imagine wishing to be on our roads, should the driverless concept become a reality.
Hybrid in Ultimate trim - ordered 12/05/23 - Collected 07/06/23
PhilHornby

Post by PhilHornby »

PhilHornby wrote: Tue Jul 02, 2024 1:15 am (i.e. like Lane Keep Assist).
Thinking about it, the only reason that the useless LKA is ON by default, is because of an EU rule - I would think it highly likely that the same rationale will apply to ISA (Intelligent Speed Assist) - especially as it will be a requirement for Northern Ireland, from Sunday. If it's only a matter of holding down a steering wheel button to disable it, it shouldn't be the end of the world....

Today's offering on the subject from: ''This is Money' (warning: contains drivel about GPS not working in rural areas :roll: )
N Line S Hybrid (HEV).
23 plate - built Nov '22
alan sh

Post by alan sh »

My dealer called today asking if I still wanted the new one. We chatted about the mandatory 'bongs' that come on when you exceed the speed limit and he confirmed that you do have to manually turn them off each time you start the car. So, I regretfully told him I wasn't interested at the moment and would come and see them in a year or two.
Alan

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post