Petrol particulate filter

All Hyundai Tucson related discussions
Lollipop

Post by Lollipop »

Hi

Just wandering if anyone else is having the same problem that i'm having. I bought the car from new last March, after only 650miles the particulate filter warning light came on I returned the car to the dealership who carried out a forced regeneration and saying the probable cause was due to me filling the car up of petrol from a supermarket and avised me to use one of the major brands, a few months later the same thing happened again another forced regeneration was carried out and this time they couldn't blame the fuel so it was down to my driving style and advised me if it happens again to carryout a natural regeneration by driving the vehicle at a constant speed at 50mph in 3rd gear for 30min, 6 weeks later and only a further 860 miles it happened again I tried on numerous occasions to carryout a regeneration but it would not clear the warning light back to the garage again for another forced regeneration, and they were still blaming my driving style, 5 weeks on and a further 1100 miles I had to take the vehicle back to the dealership which was yesterday to have another forced regeneration and this time I was told that once the warning light comes on you can't carry out a regeneration yourself it has to be returned to the dealership it seems each time they have back they change the reccommendations, following my frustrations they contacted Hyundai and told me that their tech department have stated that they are aware of the problem but at the moment they have no fix.
Last edited by Lollipop on Thu Mar 03, 2022 7:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

roadster

Post by roadster »

Welcome.
Please tell us which model you have.
Tucson PHEV Premium
old man

Post by old man »

This subject has arisen before. If you type GPF (it's gasoline particulate filter) into the search engine above, you will find references to it.
It also came up over on HOCBB in a thread which I contributed to.
Here; https://www.hyundaiownersclub.co.uk/for ... ic=10702.0

As well as asking Honest John, I also asked my dealer when I got my car and they also said they're not aware of special treatment for the GPF.

I'm guessing that as it's happening to you often in quite a new car, then your car has a problem that isn't afflicting everybody and you'll have to persevere with your dealer.
However, assuming your car isn't going into Limp Home mode when the warning light appears, I've learned since 2015 when I bought a Santa Fe, that sometimes a warning light can be extinguished by other means.
On the Santa Fe I had an oil low level warning light come on which wouldn't extinguish even after topping up the level. I was advised by my dealer to turn the ignition on and off 3 times, which I did and the light disappeared.
I have subsequently found on a Skoda Kodiaq that followed the Santa Fe, when an electrical fault warning light came on, by rebooting the infotainment system 3 times the light went out.
This didn't work for all faults that appear on the dashboard, but I've mentioned it to others in the past and it's worked on more than one occasion for certain things.
I haven't tried this in my Tucson as I've had no cause to and it might be that as car electronics evolve, it won't work anymore, but it might be worth bearing in mind next time your light comes on and rebooting the infotainment system or turning the ignition on/off will do no harm and won't erase any personal settings.

I'm assuming that this method isn't told to car owners because many would then just extinguish warning lights without getting to the root cause of them coming on, which could lead to bigger problems down the line.

Let us know if your dealer finds the cause and a fix.
Tucson N Line S 2WD Hybrid Auto
ccbb

Post by ccbb »

I am having exactly the same problem with my 1.6 petrol manual Tuscon 71 plate. I have done 2100 miles and the petrol particulate filter has come on twice already. I have had the new car 4months only. This seems ridiculous that this car is not fit for purpose for Urban driving! I am not happy at all.
Lollipop

Post by Lollipop »

sorry I should have mentioned in my original post that my vehicle is a 1.6 manual petrol (new shape)
DWS

Post by DWS »

Have had the same problem on my 2022 Tucson Ultimate 1.6 Petrol. I took the car back and was told I was not driving it far enough. They regenerated the filter but,told me the next time I would have to pay for the fix. The light has come on again and I have just driven it on the motorway for 90 mins with no effect. It was interesting to hear that this was a fault they know about and I will not be paying for a re-gen until it is sorted out.
old man

Post by old man »

DWS wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 1:42 pm Have had the same problem on my 2022 Tucson Ultimate 1.6 Petrol. I took the car back and was told I was not driving it far enough. They regenerated the filter but,told me the next time I would have to pay for the fix. The light has come on again and I have just driven it on the motorway for 90 mins with no effect. It was interesting to hear that this was a fault they know about and I will not be paying for a re-gen until it is sorted out.
Although Hyundai are aware and are working on a fix, I certainly wouldn't rely on service receptionists at dealers knowing about it, which is probably why they tell you you'll have to pay for a regen.
DWS

Post by DWS »

Thanks for the reply, what I can’t understand is that when we bought the car they asked us what our annual mileage would be,we told them approx 6-7000mls/ year. We bought this car in October and have only just done 2000mls and it looks like it will be regenerated twice. This has got to be a manufacturing fault. With the price of petrol as it is ,I cannot afford to keep running this car up and down the motorway for no logical reason.
old man

Post by old man »

what I can’t understand is that when we bought the car they asked us what our annual mileage would be,we told them approx 6-7000mls/ year
When the dealer asked you that question, they had no idea there was going to be a software fault. I'm somewhat surprised they asked the question, most sales staff just want to sell you a car.
This has got to be a manufacturing fault.
Yes it is and a fix should materialise in the fullness of time.
I cannot afford to keep running this car up and down the motorway for no logical reason.
You don't need to as it won't fix the fault. Speak to your service dept ( and maybe also the head tech in the workshop, as he may have more info than the people on the service desk) and tell them that you're aware that Hyundai are aware there's software fault and are working on a fix. Ask your dealer to let you know when this fix becomes available and get them to apply it to your car.
I was told 3 years ago, and more lately by Honest John, and also by the head tech in my dealer that a GPF needs no special treatment - just wait for the update to appear.
DWS

Post by DWS »

Will do. Many Thanks

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post