Auto Hold and Sat Nav questions

All Hyundai Tucson related discussions
old man

Post by old man »

Almost ashamedly, I admit that I've driven very few miles in this car and I've experimented very little. Yesterday was the first day that I've been stuck in slow moving, stop start traffic and I found that if I feathered the brakes when slowing down the car would continue to creep if I allowed it to, but if the traffic came to a dead stop, I press down hard on the brake as I come to a stop to apply Auto Hold. The car then stays still until I press the accelerator and the car moves off seamlessly.

As an aside, I've never been a badge or model snob, but overall I've preferred Germanic cars for their driving characteristics and no nonsense design. I've generally thought of Asian cars as being a bit soft in driving and over fussy in their design. I had two Skodas before this Tucson, one of which was a Kodiaq which I liked a lot (apart from fuel consumption), so I was slightly bothered that the Tucson wouldn't measure up to that. It's very early in my relationship with the Tucson, but thus far (with a couple of minor caveats), I'm liking it at least as much and probably more than the Kodiaq - long may it continue.
I'm taking it to France on holiday soon, which will involve putting approx 2000 miles on the clock, so hopefully the car will perform well and not let me down.
Another bonus with this car, is that my wife likes it too, which hasn't always been the case with my other choices in the past.
Tucson N Line S 2WD Hybrid Auto

terryp

Post by terryp »

I prefer to be able to switch off the Auto Hold as I have to reverse down from my drive which I can manage better by using the foot brake. Once out of the drive I can engage "Drive" and Auto Hold.
I'm planning my first long journey this weekend (Yes, I must be crazy) and need the Sat Nav for the first time. Does anyone know if the Motorway Junction gantries are shown on the Sat Nav as they appear? I always found this useful on my previous Renault, especially in Portugal where often 2 exits follow each other at short intervals.
Tucson Ultimate Auto 230PS in Dark Teal. Love it!!
AnnE13

Post by AnnE13 »

A quick question re the satnav screen. Can the background be made black as in night mode during the day? Or more colourful. At the moment is a white background with grey lines. Such a trivial thing but would be nice to know.
old man

Post by old man »

AnnE13 wrote: Tue Apr 12, 2022 11:12 am A quick question re the satnav screen. Can the background be made black as in night mode during the day? Or more colourful. At the moment is a white background with grey lines. Such a trivial thing but would be nice to know.
I've done little miles in my car so far and therefore haven't used the sat nav much. However, I do know that you can alter the background colour of the sat nav in the infotainment screen, but none of those offered is a night mode and none of them are dark. I was disappointed to see (unless I missed something) that there was no option to have a night mode as I've had in previous cars, but the other evening the screen changed to night mode automatically.
Even on previous cars I couldn't get night mode during the day unless the ambient light dropped so low e.g. in tunnels or under tree cover. I don't know where it is, but there's obviously a sensor that tells the system when light is low and the sat nav then changes to night mode. If you can find where that sensor is (very likely behind the rear view mirror). you could perhaps fool it by covering it. Beware though, that this will probably fool other systems (lighting ?) that you don't want to alter.

Further to this, I am pretty sure the light sensor is behind the rear view camera and the whole unit is tight against the windscreen, so covering the sensor would involve sticking tape on the windscreen. Not something you'd want to do I'm sure, so it looks like you're stuck without night mode except in low light conditions.

Forget all the tosh I've just written, just been out and fiddled and there is a night mode.
Go to Navigation on the info screen; Press Settings at top left of screen; Press Map on LHS of screen; Press Colour Scheme; There are then 4 options of background colour - press Black and hey presto !!
Last edited by old man on Tue Apr 12, 2022 12:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AnnE13

Post by AnnE13 »

Thanks for reply. We had night mode in the Lexus, it’s quite handy. I think it would look good given the black surround.
No worries but thanks for the reply oldman. We too haven’t driven our new car much yet but in the three weeks we’ve had it, we love it 👌
old man

Post by old man »

AnnE13 wrote: Tue Apr 12, 2022 11:56 am Thanks for reply. We had night mode in the Lexus, it’s quite handy. I think it would look good given the black surround.
No worries but thanks for the reply oldman. We too haven’t driven our new car much yet but in the three weeks we’ve had it, we love it 👌
See the addition to my previous reply !
old man

Post by old man »

AnnE13 wrote: Tue Apr 12, 2022 11:56 am Thanks for reply. We had night mode in the Lexus, it’s quite handy. I think it would look good given the black surround.
Purely out of interest, a Lexus was on my radar before finally choosing the Tucson. I know it's early days for you with the Tucson, but how does it compare to the Lexus ?
AnnE13

Post by AnnE13 »

We had the is 300h f sport so the move to an SUV is all new for us. First impressions of the Tucson……..I’d say Lexus build quality is hard to beat but comes at a hefty price. If we’d gone with the NX300 SUV we’d be looking at an extra £15000! So far we are delighted with the Tucson, ticks all our boxes, comfortable, smooth, has all the tech we need, a lovely panoramic roof……and wheels that are a nightmare to clean 🤣
Our dealer has been spot on so far but it’s early days. We are still running the car in but hope to do a few miles round the Highlands soon.
So far no regrets but the quality and customer service from Lexus makes it a very hard brand to move away from.
old man

Post by old man »

AnnE13 wrote: Tue Apr 12, 2022 3:00 pm We had the is 300h f sport so the move to an SUV is all new for us. First impressions of the Tucson……..I’d say Lexus build quality is hard to beat but comes at a hefty price. If we’d gone with the NX300 SUV we’d be looking at an extra £15000! So far we are delighted with the Tucson, ticks all our boxes, comfortable, smooth, has all the tech we need, a lovely panoramic roof……and wheels that are a nightmare to clean 🤣
Our dealer has been spot on so far but it’s early days. We are still running the car in but hope to do a few miles round the Highlands soon.
So far no regrets but the quality and customer service from Lexus makes it a very hard brand to move away from.
Thanks for the reply and yes, it was that extra £15000 or so that made me steer clear of Lexus, especially when what you're getting is a Toyota in drag.
I've never been in a Lexus, but so far I'm being pleased with the quality of the Tucson, especially in unseen areas where they've taken more care to finish off trim compared to my last two Skodas and my wifes VW Golf.
I hope you remain pleased with your Tucson and yes, a dealer who gives good customer service goes a long way in helping the customer enjoy their purchase. Overall, my Hyundai dealer is a cut above the Skoda dealer who I bought 4 cars from.

Did you see my addition above about getting night mode on your sat nav ?
Last edited by old man on Tue Apr 12, 2022 9:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AnnE13

Post by AnnE13 »

Did you see my addition above about getting night mode on your sat nav ?
[/quote]

Hi, I have seen the addition now, thanks for that. I’ll have a play and see what I come up with 👍

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post