Rear offside door doesn't drain

All Hyundai Tucson related discussions
alan sh

Post by alan sh »

When it's been raining and I then open the rear offside door, water gushes out. There's obviously a blocked drain hole somewhere. Does anyone know where it is? The nearside door is OK but I can't see any difference.

Cheers

Alan
Alan

I own a 2022 Ultimate Hybrid with Tech Pack - in Red (best colour).
Also have two motorcycles. Honda CB1300 and Honda CBF1000 (also red, of course).

old man

Post by old man »

From your description, I read it the opposite way round. If water is gushing out the drain hole isn't blocked. It sounds more like water is getting into the door and is being held there until it's opened,
Have you got a faulty window seal perhaps ?
Tucson N Line S 2WD Hybrid Auto
roadster

Post by roadster »

It sounds like the door seal prevents water from escaping as well as from getting inside the car. Usually door seals are designed in a way which allows water to drain externally and as this is happening on one side only I suggest you examine the seals very carefully to see if they have an identical seating and shape. A simple repositioning may be all that is needed. In the days when water leaks were common, even in new cars, one service recommendation was to cut a slit at the bottom of the door seal so that water could escape rather than enter the car but you should certainly not have to do this on a modern car. Window seals are not designed to totally prevent water ingress, that would be impossible.
Incidentally one annoying feature of the current tailgate design is that water goes everywhere when it is opened after rain.
Tucson PHEV Premium
alan sh

Post by alan sh »

Here's a link to a small video showing the nearside door opening (no issue) followed by the offside door (water comes out).

https://www.dropbox.com/s/hvmiwjtvkxrz5 ... 0.mp4?dl=1

Alan
Alan

Also have two motorcycles. Honda CB1300 and Honda CBF1000 (also red, of course).
focusy

Post by focusy »

might be where the drainage holes are from the sun roof, I had it on a Audi Q5 and it only drained from the passenger side, being German that the side closest to the kerb so it drained from that side only, so water could be dispelled down drains when opened.

the obviously didn't make the swap for uk roads.
old man

Post by old man »

focusy wrote: Thu Apr 07, 2022 10:27 am might be where the drainage holes are from the sun roof, I had it on a Audi Q5 and it only drained from the passenger side, being German that the side closest to the kerb so it drained from that side only, so water could be dispelled down drains when opened.

the obviously didn't make the swap for uk roads.
Out of interest, where did the water from the sunroof drain out exactly ? Surely not into a door unless if comes down the B pillar and through the rubber cable protector that goes from the B pillar into the door.
old man

Post by old man »

alan sh wrote: Thu Apr 07, 2022 10:01 am Here's a link to a small video showing the nearside door opening (no issue) followed by the offside door (water comes out).

https://www.dropbox.com/s/hvmiwjtvkxrz5 ... 0.mp4?dl=1

Alan
As I thought, your video shows the water draining out of the door okay - at least from the drain hole that is shown. I believe that the plastic strip on the lower door and the rubber strip on the sill butt together pretty well to prevent wet and dirt from under the car getting into that area. Any water that gets into the door therefore can't escape completely until you open the door.
Why is that door getting more water into the door than the other one ? The sunroof idea is a possibility, but it would need to be draining into the B pillar and then through the rubber cable duct into the door pillar. :o
Other possibilities as far as I can see, are the window seal, the door handle seal, the door hinges and door stop seals and the rubber cable duct between B pillar and door. Are any of these seals missing, badly fitted or damaged ?

If you can't find the cause, I'd recommend talking to your dealer as they might have seen this before. Happened to me with a previous Santa Fe that had water entering a rear wing panel. I could see no point of entry, but the dealer was on it straightaway and fitted a new rear light unit - leak fixed :D .
alan sh

Post by alan sh »

Thanks - I'll check them out when it stops raining.

I've sent the video to my dealer - let's see what they say.

thanks for the feedback

Alan
Alan

joolstdi

Post by joolstdi »

Really good video. Nice and clear. Does any water go inside on the floors inside of the car or does it just sit there until you open the door.I had a golf same issue and it worked out that the seals on the speaker had gone.
The dealer will be able to see where the leak is they soak test the car and sort it for you.

Jools
Tucson Ultimate PHEV Auto + Teck Pack
Ordered Jan 2022
Delivered June 2022
alan sh

Post by alan sh »

It appares to be just pooling on the paintwork. I'll check the carpets later.
Alan

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post