Reclining rear seats

All Hyundai Tucson related discussions
maurice28

Post by maurice28 »

I have a Premium model, and had a (maybe silly) question about the back seats.

Is reclining the rear seat backs a feature on the Premium? When the car came the seat backs were as far back as they could go, flush with the luggage cover. That's fine but I've noticed it is a bit too reclined for child car seats to sit straight against the back. Using the lever at the side edge of the outer seats allows me to put the backs a bit more straight (and the middle seat then joins with them), leaving a bit of a gap between the seat back and the luggage cover.

It seems sturdy when I leave them in that position but I just wanted to confirm this is actually a feature?? The manual just talks about putting the rear seats fully down or up.

Apologies if that doesn't make sense or is obvious!

Mar10

Post by Mar10 »

You've made total sense! Yes it is a feature, a mid position that you describe is more the 'correct' seating position too. The reclined position is quite far back, I guess more for taking a nap.
maurice28

Post by maurice28 »

Phew, thanks very much, appreciate it!
wixandy

Post by wixandy »

Just picked up my car. Seems strange that there is such a large gap when the seats are upright. In a previous model I had the option to move the luggage cover but this one has only one position…
N Line in Shadow Grey collected 24.03.23
old man

Post by old man »

As mentioned in the 1st post here, there is a lever on the side of the seats that can alter the angle of the backrest and also allow the backrest to fold fully forward.
With the backrests fully reclined there should be no gap between the seat backs and the parcel shelf. Have a play with them.
Tucson N Line S 2WD Hybrid Auto
wixandy

Post by wixandy »

old man wrote: Sun Mar 26, 2023 3:45 pm As mentioned in the 1st post here, there is a lever on the side of the seats that can alter the angle of the backrest and also allow the backrest to fold fully forward.
With the backrests fully reclined there should be no gap between the seat backs and the parcel shelf. Have a play with them.
Yes thanks, same on mine, but when they are upright, which is a more usual position I would have thought, there is a 3 or 4 inch gap…
old man

Post by old man »

wixandy wrote: Sun Mar 26, 2023 3:48 pm
old man wrote: Sun Mar 26, 2023 3:45 pm As mentioned in the 1st post here, there is a lever on the side of the seats that can alter the angle of the backrest and also allow the backrest to fold fully forward.
Yes thanks, same on mine, but when they are upright, which is a more usual position I would have thought, there is a 3 or 4 inch gap…
Fully upright is NOT a normal position. What cars have you seen that have fully upright backrests ? A little reclined is normal and if left in a fully upright position, your rear passengers wouldn't be comfortable for long and would very likely be complaining of backache.
Anyway, what difference is a small gap going to make. Nobody can see any contents in the boot due to the small gap and the tinted windows.
Tucson N Line S 2WD Hybrid Auto
wixandy

Post by wixandy »

old man wrote: Sun Mar 26, 2023 3:54 pm
Fully upright is NOT a normal position. What cars have you seen that have fully upright backrests ? A little reclined is normal and if left in a fully upright position, your rear passengers wouldn't be comfortable for long and would very likely be complaining of backache.
Anyway, what difference is a small gap going to make. Nobody can see any contents in the boot due to the small gap and the tinted windows.
Just asking….
Mar10

Post by Mar10 »

wixandy wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 7:05 pm

Just asking….
Yeah some people write on here in a manor that could come across as a touch grumpy!!

For what it’s worth I totally agree with you. The fully ‘reclined’ position of the back seats has the back rest at much more of an angle than any back seat I’ve ever sat in. A more normal position (not literally vertical upright) does leave a fairly significant gap between the top of the seat and the luggage cover.

It would have been nice if they could have made some kind of spring loaded mount for the luggage cover that enabled it to move with the seat back but I guess that would add cost and complexity to something that isn’t a major issue.

I rarely even pull the luggage cover over the boot, as OM says, the rear windows as so dark from the outside it’s nearly impossible to see anything in there anyway.
wixandy

Post by wixandy »

Mar10 wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 4:01 am
wixandy wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 7:05 pm

Just asking….
Yeah some people write on here in a manor that could come across as a touch grumpy!!

For what it’s worth I totally agree with you. The fully ‘reclined’ position of the back seats has the back rest at much more of an angle than any back seat I’ve ever sat in. A more normal position (not literally vertical upright) does leave a fairly significant gap between the top of the seat and the luggage cover.

It would have been nice if they could have made some kind of spring loaded mount for the luggage cover that enabled it to move with the seat back but I guess that would add cost and complexity to something that isn’t a major issue.

I rarely even pull the luggage cover over the boot, as OM says, the rear windows as so dark from the outside it’s nearly impossible to see anything in there anyway.
Yes thanks for the response. In my 2018 model the rear cover have 2 positions so you could move it forward and back when you reclined. None of this puts me off, just a small detail…

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post