May 2022 Update

All Hyundai Tucson related discussions
dbrewood

Post by dbrewood »

Not a problem, hold on to see how you go and if I get a reply from the dealership...
Car: Hyundai Tucson Ultimate Hybrid in Dark Knight w Tech Pack
Soon to be a Kona N-Line S Hybrid w Lux pack in Denim Blue

old man

Post by old man »

A sad day today and I had spoke too soon, the work done by the dealer has not cured the reset problem.
I went to the dealer and told them and got to speak to the tech who did the work (very nice, helpful young fellow) who is showing an interest and is going to take it up with Hyundai and will get back to me. I asked him not to believe the "we've never heard of that before" line as mine is not an isolated case and others have reported it. Not much more to be said at present.

TerryP; Whilst out driving today I took note of the speed in the top left of the map on the info screen. Mine is still there with the speed limit and actual speed but since the software update it has a slightly different look to how it was before. I think the font of the actual speed is different. You have to be driving to see this as is doesn't show just by turning on ignition.

dbrewood; I spoke to the tech again today about trickle charging and told him which one I have and asked if a special one is needed for our battery. I told him mine is rated to charge AGM batteries and he said that would be fine, as would any others of the same standard. So if you decide to buy one, and want pics of how to attach it, let me know.
I see the AA also sell a solar one which is appealing because it would negate running a mains cable to your car, but the blurb on Amazon says the solar panel needs to be in direct sunlight. Okay at the moment, but not sure about in the winter.
As an aside, I bought mine early in the Covid saga and it was about the same price as it is now. I did notice further into Covid though, that the price had increased substantially which shows what a profiteering bunch of baskets some people are !!
Tucson N Line S 2WD Hybrid Auto
dbrewood

Post by dbrewood »

Thanks for the update I'll hold off for now on any purchases and wait until we have more feedback. Worst case I'm going to the dealership first week in September and I'll have a few words then.
Car: Hyundai Tucson Ultimate Hybrid in Dark Knight w Tech Pack
Soon to be a Kona N-Line S Hybrid w Lux pack in Denim Blue
terryp

Post by terryp »

old man wrote: Fri Aug 19, 2022 1:47 pm TerryP; Whilst out driving today I took note of the speed in the top left of the map on the info screen. Mine is still there with the speed limit and actual speed but since the software update it has a slightly different look to how it was before. I think the font of the actual speed is different. You have to be driving to see this as is doesn't show just by turning on ignition.
Thanks for that OM. That numeric speed indicator only appeared on the map after the latest update so it's absence makes me wonder if that disappeared along with everything else. I've just gone out to the car with the USB stick that I used for the last update to see if I lost the software update along with everything else a couple of days ago. Well, it was happy to carry out an update when I inserted it so I'll take the car for a spin over the weekend and see what happens.
On a more positive note, I had a call from my tame After Sales Manager to say he has been talking to Hyundai Technical about the problem (I was very impressed about that).
HT admit they have had this reported to them on a number of occasions and are carrying out examinations to analyse the issue. I have been invited to take my car in next week when they will change the ICU by taking this part from a new Tucson and putting it in mine. This exercise has been suggested by HT.
I get the impression that they are not 100% convinced that this is the answer (neither am I) but, as the saying goes, it would eliminate it from our enquiries. I suppose I could get a quick answer by reproducing the exercise that produced the total reset.
I'll keep everyone posted as the number of owners with these incidents seems to be growing by the day.
Tucson Ultimate Auto 230PS in Dark Teal. Love it!!
old man

Post by old man »

Well done Terry, onwards and upwards with everything crossed in the hope of a solution.
In all honesty, whilst I think that considering what I paid for this car, everything should be working as expected, doing a couple of resets each time I get in the car isn't the end of the world - I call it my pre flight checks along with turning on auto hold and turning off lane assist.
However, we're in the process of selling my wifes car, which means she'll be driving mine (nail biting !!) and I don't want her to be confused by all this stuff we're having to change unnecessarily.
Plus (touch wood) I haven't yet had the big resets that you've experienced.
terryp

Post by terryp »

old man wrote: Fri Aug 19, 2022 5:13 pm However, we're in the process of selling my wifes car, which means she'll be driving mine (nail biting !!) and I don't want her to be confused by all this stuff we're having to change unnecessarily.
Plus (touch wood) I haven't yet had the big resets that you've experienced.
Good luck with that, OM. My wife absolutely hates my car but I've caught her out saying that it's a pleasure to drive. It's all the gadgets that she can't stand. She has a friend with a Citroen 2CV and tells me we should get one of those. No gadgets-nothing to go wrong. There is a logic to that.
old man

Post by old man »

Not so bad with me Terry. The car we're selling is a MK8 Golf Auto which is all digital as well, and after saying before she bought it that she wanted simple i.e. not digital, not auto etc etc, she absolutely loves her car now. It's purely down to common sense and practicality that we're selling it as we currently have two cars sitting on the drive doing not a lot, so we've decided to cut down to one car that will do a bit more.
Hopefully the money we get for the Golf will pay our utility bills for a month or two. :D
She actually likes the Tucson, but what bothers her is thinking that it's much bigger than the Golf (not hugely) and she's afraid of damaging it cos she knows how particular I am. :x
Motorway sold the Golf for us yesterday and got us over £1000 more than we paid for it in May 2021. My wife worked for a bank for 30 years and likes to count our pennies, so she's happy. She'll also be happy with the Tucson once she gets more familiar with it.

I only noticed recently that you're in North Somerset, so not a million miles from me near Bridgwater. Which dealer do you use ?
old man

Post by old man »

Here's what could be regarded as an interesting titbit.
I was talking to the salesman today who sold me my car on another matter and this topic came up. He told me that the Ioniq had originally had problems with flat batteries and after a while Hyundai began fitting the reset button as we currently have in our HEV Tucsons.
So this is not a new phenomena, but I'm failing to understand why they would do that rather than fit a larger capacity battery.
Answers on a postcard please. :D
terryp

Post by terryp »

old man wrote: Sat Aug 20, 2022 10:00 am I only noticed recently that you're in North Somerset, so not a million miles from me near Bridgwater. Which dealer do you use ?
I'm using Howards Hyundai in Weston-super-Mare. You're probably aware that they have dealerships in various parts of Somerset and at least I now have attracted their attention.
I think the missing numeric speed indicator was a bit of a red herring. I've found the unticked box for that in the Nav settings and restored it. Strange as I don't recall ticking that before but at my age..............
Anyway I've updated the software again, just to be sure.
old man

Post by old man »

Latest update;
Had a call from the tech at my dealer today. He 's spoken to Hyundai who've stated that they are aware of this problem and that they are looking into it.
In the interim they've asked the tech to replace the small fuse box inside the car. Bad news is, there's none in stock and it's a special order to get one, so that could take some time.
They will let me know when they have one and I'll update here as and when.

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post