May 2022 Update

All Hyundai Tucson related discussions
alan sh

Post by alan sh »

Well, my dealer knows about it because I reported it to him back in April.

Hyundai just have their head in the sand over this.
Alan

I own a 2022 Ultimate Hybrid with Tech Pack - in Red (best colour).
Also have two motorcycles. Honda CB1300 and Honda CBF1000 (also red, of course).

maurice28

Post by maurice28 »

Before I leased my Tucson, one of the alternatives I was looking at was a Toyota Corolla Touring hybrid. One of the (minor) things that put me off was the fact that if the car was left for a while, the 12v battery could drain, causing issues.

While browsing the Corolla owners' forum during my research, there was a blog post linked to there from Toyota which detailed the procedure to follow to make sure the 12v battery stayed in good shape if you weren't driving much (it was particularly in response to lockdown being imposed).

I know it is of no direct help in the specific case of the Tucson, but thought it might be of academic interest.

https://mag.toyota.co.uk/coronavirus-to ... ForumLinks
old man

Post by old man »

alan sh wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 1:49 pm Well, my dealer knows about it because I reported it to him back in April.

Hyundai just have their head in the sand over this.
Are all dealers actually passing this on to Hyundai ?
Tucson N Line S 2WD Hybrid Auto
old man

Post by old man »

Being a low mileage driver nowadays, during lockdown I had a flat battery a couple of times on a previous car (normal petrol with stop/start)/
I bought a trickle charger to alleviate this which worked for me at the time.
I'm not suggesting that anyone buys a trickle charger to alleviate the problems we're experiencing here, but as I already have one, I got the technician to show me yesterday how to connect one to a HEV Tucson. So if anyone needs to know how to do this just ask.
old man

Post by old man »

I'm very likely tempting fate here but; I haven't used my car for two days since it went to the dealer. Yesterday I washed the car, during which time I had all doors and the boot open at various times. I unlocked and locked the car a few times and I also switched the ignition on a few times as well.
Today I unlocked the car and switched on the ignition again and thus far there have been no resets. I would have expected something to have changed after the power drain I gave the battery yesterday, so maybe there's a glimmer of hope.
I'll keep this updated as and when.
dbrewood

Post by dbrewood »

old man wrote: Thu Aug 18, 2022 10:14 am I'm very likely tempting fate here but; I haven't used my car for two days since it went to the dealer. Yesterday I washed the car, during which time I had all doors and the boot open at various times. I unlocked and locked the car a few times and I also switched the ignition on a few times as well.
Today I unlocked the car and switched on the ignition again and thus far there have been no resets. I would have expected something to have changed after the power drain I gave the battery yesterday, so maybe there's a glimmer of hope.

Fingers firmly crossed.
old man wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 2:48 pm Being a low mileage driver nowadays, during lockdown I had a flat battery a couple of times on a previous car (normal petrol with stop/start)/
I'm not suggesting that anyone buys a trickle charger to alleviate the problems we're experiencing here, but as I already have one, I got the technician to show me yesterday how to connect one to a HEV Tucson. So if anyone needs to know how to do this just ask.

From a technical point of view I'd like to know what one looks like, how much it cost, where it's located when fitted, and what is involved, just in case it does fully fix the issue.
Car: Hyundai Tucson Ultimate Hybrid in Dark Knight w Tech Pack
Soon to be a Kona N-Line S Hybrid w Lux pack in Denim Blue
terryp

Post by terryp »

old man wrote: Thu Aug 18, 2022 10:14 am I'm very likely tempting fate here but; I haven't used my car for two days since it went to the dealer. Yesterday I washed the car, during which time I had all doors and the boot open at various times. I unlocked and locked the car a few times and I also switched the ignition on a few times as well.
Well, OM I'd be very interested to know what your dealer did as my latest reset has been the worst yet. On Tuesday, after a quick vacuum lasting about 10 minutes I locked the car and it was yesterday (Wednesday) when I discovered that the car had carried out a full (and I mean full) reset. Even the seat settings disappeared. It was in effect, a reset to factory settings.
I have never had such a comprehensive reset and so far I have spent over half an hour trying to recreate what I had before. Sense of humour failure comes to mind.
I've recreated mostly everything but I recall that after my latest software update I had a numeric speed indicator at the top left of the map, below the road speed limit. That's now disappeared and I can't find how to get it back. Any suggestions?
I'm beginning to wonder whether the latest software update has been wiped out as well so I'll need to check that.
However, my glimmer of light is that after a "terse" email to both my dealer and Hyundai UK, I received a call back from the dealer After Sales Manager.
I was able to describe both the symptoms (well, most of them, life is too short for all of them) and the event leading up to it. I told him this problem is not unique to me and is not a "one off" although probably confined to Hybrid models and we had a discussion regarding the possible cause.
Although he stated he hadn't heard of it before (well, they all say that, don't they) he agreed that this was unacceptable and he tried to reassure me that he would get to the bottom of it and keep me informed of progress. He is contacting Hyundai Technical and I get the feeling that this may lead to something.
We'll see about that but at least someone within the Hyundai network is aware that this is a problem that needs to be sorted.
As for me, any car cleaning in future will be carried out with the ignition left on.
So maybe, just maybe, this could be a chink of light at the end of the tunnel.
Tucson Ultimate Auto 230PS in Dark Teal. Love it!!
Philr

Post by Philr »

If you're thinking of a trickle charger, more especially a battery conditioner, then I suspect it would need something like this :-
https://www.ctek.com/uk/battery-charger ... hium-xs-uk
but I'd want to check with Ctek before using it on the Tucson - we have an HEV - and also with Hyundai to make sure there is no wriggle room on warranty.

I used a Ctek battery conditioner on my Lotus and it worked fine. They even supplied optional fag lighter plugs if that was live all the time - it was on the Lotus - so no faffing around under the bonnet.
Phil

I don't have a carbon footprint because I drive everywhere.

2022 Premium HEV
old man

Post by old man »

terryp wrote: Thu Aug 18, 2022 11:28 am
Well, OM I'd be very interested to know what your dealer did as my latest reset has been the worst yet. On Tuesday, after a quick vacuum lasting about 10 minutes I locked the car and it was yesterday (Wednesday) when I discovered that the car had carried out a full (and I mean full) reset. Even the seat settings disappeared. It was in effect, a reset to factory settings.
I have never had such a comprehensive reset and so far I have spent over half an hour trying to recreate what I had before. Sense of humour failure comes to mind.
I've recreated mostly everything but I recall that after my latest software update I had a numeric speed indicator at the top left of the map, below the road speed limit. That's now disappeared and I can't find how to get it back. Any suggestions?
I'm beginning to wonder whether the latest software update has been wiped out as well so I'll need to check that.
However, my glimmer of light is that after a "terse" email to both my dealer and Hyundai UK, I received a call back from the dealer After Sales Manager.
I was able to describe both the symptoms (well, most of them, life is too short for all of them) and the event leading up to it. I told him this problem is not unique to me and is not a "one off" although probably confined to Hybrid models and we had a discussion regarding the possible cause.
Although he stated he hadn't heard of it before (well, they all say that, don't they) he agreed that this was unacceptable and he tried to reassure me that he would get to the bottom of it and keep me informed of progress. He is contacting Hyundai Technical and I get the feeling that this may lead to something.
We'll see about that but at least someone within the Hyundai network is aware that this is a problem that needs to be sorted.
As for me, any car cleaning in future will be carried out with the ignition left on.
So maybe, just maybe, this could be a chink of light at the end of the tunnel.
Slowly slowly, catchee monkey. I was going to take the car out today, but I don't want to run the engine yet, just to give the battery a chance to deplete further and see if causes any resets.
If this continues to be a success story, I'll go and speak to the tech that carried out the work and ask him to explain exactly what he did. but the service desk did show me what he'd written on the back of the work sheet, which was; Installed the latest software update (June 2022) and rebooted the ECU as recommended by Hyundai Technical. Whether he tweaked anything else I don't know, and that's the question I want to ask if I speak to him.
The hard reset mentioned here previously, and I can't remember who said it - alan sh ?), is purely a matter of pressing the tiny reset button on the bottom left of the infotainment system and I could tell by his demeanour that the tech didn't think that would be the answer.
I believe the latest update you had would have replaced the previous one and I can't believe it would revert to a previous version due to battery drain.

I've just been to the car to see if I could answer your question re speed indicator, but of course, I can't as I'm not driving. I did however get a battery discharge warning, so it will be interesting to see what effect, if any, this will have on resets.
Last edited by old man on Thu Aug 18, 2022 3:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
old man

Post by old man »

dbrewood wrote: Thu Aug 18, 2022 11:20 am

Fingers firmly crossed.
old man wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 2:48 pm Being a low mileage driver nowadays, during lockdown I had a flat battery a couple of times on a previous car (normal petrol with stop/start)/

From a technical point of view I'd like to know what one looks like, how much it cost, where it's located when fitted, and what is involved, just in case it does fully fix the issue.

For a start, read what Philr has written in his post below. We are getting into murky waters with the type of battery system that's installed in our HEVs. Before attempting to charge your battery, I would definitely advise talking to the head tech at your dealer. However, I specifically asked my tech whether I could trickle charge my battery and how to do it. He showed me what to do and at no time did he say it shouldn't be done.

When I bought my trickle charger I had to make sure it was capable of charging AGM batteries, which are the type fitted to cars with stop/start. a quick Google search doesn't reveal a specific charger for HEV cars
The C-TEK chargers have a good reputation but are expensive. I only wanted one for low end use that would do the job, so I bought this one and it did the job admirably on my previous car.

Google Trickle Chargers, there's plenty on the market, but I went with the AA model, because the price was right, and although probably made in China, I thought that such an organisation wouldn't sell a duff product.
If you wish to proceed. I'll happily take pics and explain how to connect it, but I'd advise hanging on to see if the reset problem is cured on my car.

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post