PHEV Questions

All Hyundai Tucson related discussions
rando29

Post by rando29 »

Hello - I am looking at a Tucson and originally was set on the Ultimate Hybrid.
However the only car the local dealership had available was the Tucson Ultimate PHEV and i was very impressed and so started looking a PHEV or a hybrid.
I am a bit confused though about the PHEV and having read a few posts on here I just wanted to clarify a few things.
I commute to work once a week and it is 28 miles and a mix of A roads / motorway and traffic and I am hoping the PHEV will get there totally on electric power and I can charge at work for my return journey.
The rest of the week though consists mainly of trips of approx 5 miles (daughter taxi) - not possible to walk as its main roads etc.
So am i correct in saying that these trips of 5 miles or less in the winter will not use just the EV battery but mainly the engine ? IA main reason to consider the PHEV is for these sort of short trips .
If it will only use the engine until it heats up then I might aswell just get the hybrid.
ARe my assumptions correct ?
Thanks.
Tuscon Ultimate with Tech Pack 2022 - Sunset Red

DrElectron

Post by DrElectron »

You might get 28 miles in a charge, depends on your average speed. My commute is 17 miles each way and I can easily go both ways on electric only (in the summer) but a couple of miles short in winter as the range drops slightly in colder weather. My average speed is probably 40mph. Higher speeds will drop your range a bit.

The engine doesn't have to run in the winter, but it will if your HVAC calls for heat, if you can manage with only heated seats / steering wheel then you can go full EV all year round
My first and certainly last Hyundai: 2022 Tucson Phev Ultimate
rando29

Post by rando29 »

Thanks DrElectron - I tend to drive 65-70mph on motorway which consists of about 15 miles on my commute. Good news then about being able to use full EV and tend to only use the heated seats in winter in my current car (Tiguan).
Can you preheat the Tucson if plugged in and charging with the app ? I know you can on some PHEVS.
DrElectron

Post by DrElectron »

Sadly not on Hyundai, it is a feature in some countries but not UK
My first and certainly last Hyundai: 2022 Tucson Phev Ultimate
rando29

Post by rando29 »

Just a quick update - I have ordered a Tucson Ultimate Hybrid with Tech Pack .
alan sh

Post by alan sh »

That's what I have - it's really nice.
Alan

I own a 2022 Ultimate Hybrid with Tech Pack - in Red (best colour).
Also have two motorcycles. Honda CB1300 and Honda CBF1000 (also red, of course).

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post