Bike Carrier

All Hyundai Tucson related discussions
HKC

Post by HKC »

I have the Ultimate HEV with panoramic roof and considering how best to carry my bike. I worry about having the roof bars on and roof being opened, consequences not worth thinking about. Looking into a tow bar but that will take some time if I go for that. I do have a saris bones carrier that I used with previous car. Has anyone used one of these with their Tucson? Thanks.

AZ2021

Post by AZ2021 »

Hey, welcome.

There are some posts about the roof bar/sunroof situation on here already actually. I'm in the same boat at the moment. I think I'm going to try and fit my bars in a way that the roof can clear the gap between OR fit them and take the fuse out for the sunroof so that it would open, either by accident or a mis-press of the button whilst opening the blind.

Let us know what you end up doing.
2022 Tucson Ultimate Hybrid, with tech pack.
joolstdi

Post by joolstdi »

Tow bar is the way with a nice thule system. i would not go for the saris bones as it uses straps that have to go on top of the boot spoiler into the boot. This load on the spoiler will break it even if you just have a carbon racer the extra weight say with you going down the road at speed it will crack the roof spoiler as its not designed for the tucson.

Same as roof bars put too much weight on it and the roof will flex and crack. i have seen a pan roof with a roof box that had a couple of KG over the weight that it was suppose to put in, and yes we have all done it just a little bit more in and bang it just shatters.

In a previous life/job before my big motorcycle accident this was my job :D

jools
Last edited by joolstdi on Wed Jul 20, 2022 9:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tucson Ultimate PHEV Auto + Teck Pack
Ordered Jan 2022
Delivered June 2022
old man

Post by old man »

I had Thule bars from my previous cars and was going to buy a new Thule foot pack so I could use the bars on the Tucson.
However, having discovered from reports here that both Thule bars and feet, plus Hyundai's own brand of bars and feet would not allow the sunroof to open, I ended up buying Nordrive bars and feet from Micks Garage which do allow the roof to open without fouling anything.
Had I not come across these bars, I was going to tape over the switch as you mentioned.
It was actually cheaper to buy the Nordrive bars and feet than it would have been to just purchase a new Thule footpack for the Thule bars I had already !!
Tucson N Line S 2WD Hybrid Auto
Aelking

Post by Aelking »

@old man which bars did you buy? Have to buy some soon and really want the roof to still open.
old man

Post by old man »

Aelking wrote: Thu Jul 21, 2022 4:07 am @old man which bars did you buy? Have to buy some soon and really want the roof to still open.
Hi Aelking, here's a link to the page you need at Micks Garage.
https://www.micksgarage.com/d/roof-rack ... s/products
You'll see that there's 3 types of bar available. I don't know why they show the Alumia and the square bars twice on the same page as they're the same.
I have the Alumia bars, which I should tell you are noisier than the Thule aero bars I used before, but I don't know if that's down to bar shape or the feet. I think it might be the feet as they're not as efficiently shaped as Thule ones.. It might be worth paying extra for the Silenzio bars if the thought of some wind noise bothers you, but I can't say if that would make much difference.
It isn't a bad or overly loud noise but after the near silence of Thule Kit, it is noticeable. To put it into perspective, I've recently driven about 1400 miles through France and the noise was never annoying enough to make me remove them.

P.S. When you open the link give it a few seconds to populate or it won't be the page I linked to.
Tucson N Line S 2WD Hybrid Auto
AZ2021

Post by AZ2021 »

I finally got round to fitting my bars on my ultimate Tucson.

I have Cruz AeroFix bars, with the specific feet pack, and have fitted them in a way that not only allows the roof to be fully operational but also doesn't take anything away from the aesthetics of having the roof open - which is great on both counts.

The only slight "first world problem" is that I'll have to set the electronic boot opening at a lesser angle so that when I have my roof box on it doesn't hit the rear spoiler. Tough things to live through.
Goof

Post by Goof »

AZ2021 wrote: Sun Aug 14, 2022 9:47 pm I finally got round to fitting my bars on my ultimate Tucson.

I have Cruz AeroFix bars, with the specific feet pack, and have fitted them in a way that not only allows the roof to be fully operational but also doesn't take anything away from the aesthetics of having the roof open - which is great on both counts.

The only slight "first world problem" is that I'll have to set the electronic boot opening at a lesser angle so that when I have my roof box on it doesn't hit the rear spoiler. Tough things to live through.
Hi, do you have any pictures, and what feet pack did you use?
Thanks
Ordered Ultimate 230 HEV in Dark Knight -28/03/22
Initial delivery estimate 31st Aug 2022
Update (26th May) delivery to dealer on 5th August
Update(9th Jul) delivery to dealer 26th Sept :shock:
Will collect 20 sept
AZ2021

Post by AZ2021 »

Yeah, of course. I'll have to take some better ones in the coming days, when I can get out and about. You can see that I am not joking about being millimetres shy of the feet....like 4mm!

20220814_203528.jpg

The bars and feet are on the following link. They are the Cruz AeroFix, with the specific feet park for the Tucson. The advantages of these is that if/when I change car I can just buy the £20 feet pack for that vehicle and continue using the bars.

I went for the black bars, which looks really smart on my black Tucson, but the silver are the same design.
(https://www.roofbox.co.uk/scripts/rbveh ... oKKTwHHf7h)
Goof

Post by Goof »

That's tight
Ordered Ultimate 230 HEV in Dark Knight -28/03/22
Initial delivery estimate 31st Aug 2022
Update (26th May) delivery to dealer on 5th August
Update(9th Jul) delivery to dealer 26th Sept :shock:
Will collect 20 sept

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post