Emergency spare wheel

All Hyundai Tucson related discussions
sandysteve

Post by sandysteve »

I have an emergency spare wheel from my previous car. I was wondering if it would fit my new car, Tucson hybrid Ultimate? The wheel is a T125 90R16. Any info please.

old man

Post by old man »

If the wheel didn't come from a Hyundai then it likely won't be suitable. The wheel stud spacings need to be the same on the spare as they are on your current car, and personally I'd prefer a larger than 16" diameter to replace the 19" wheel on your car.
Tucson N Line S 2WD Hybrid Auto
sandysteve

Post by sandysteve »

Thanks for reply, think I'll advertise for sale online!👍
stojced

Post by stojced »

In the offer for Macedonia we have following spare: T135/90D17
Deleted User 616

Post by Deleted User 616 »

When I have had a space saver/emergency spare on previous cars they have tended to have a smaller diameter wheel rim with a higher sidewall tyre. This effectively gives the same rolling diameter as the normal wheel/tyre combo and therefore has been ok for emergency (<= 50mph) use.
old man

Post by old man »

IngerzSH wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 4:32 pm When I have had a space saver/emergency spare on previous cars they have tended to have a smaller diameter wheel rim with a higher sidewall tyre. This effectively gives the same rolling diameter as the normal wheel/tyre combo and therefore has been ok for emergency (<= 50mph) use.

That's quite usual. The spare wheel supplied for my previous Skoda was 2" less than the wheels on the car.
That though doesn't mean that any spare wheel is suitable as the stud spacing has to be the same, as does the wheel design as it has the fit over the braking system of the Tucson.
Big S

Post by Big S »

Didn't you mention old man in a previous post that you are not supposed to use a space saver on the front wheels, when you were looking into obtaining a spare wheel.
old man

Post by old man »

Big S wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 5:20 pm Didn't you mention old man in a previous post that you are not supposed to use a space saver on the front wheels, when you were looking into obtaining a spare wheel.

Gosh, you have a good memory and yes, I did say that.
A space saver wheel should not be used on the front axle of the car, which means a lot of faffing if that's where the puncture is. I don't see people adhering to that if changing a wheel on a busy road or in the pouring rain.
They really should though cos that's an accident waiting to happen otherwise.
Deleted User 758

Post by Deleted User 758 »

A space saver wheel should not be used on the front axle of the car, which means a lot of faffing if that's where the puncture is.
So the procedure in case of a front wheel puncture is....

Jack up the front and change burst tyre for space saver.
Jack up the rear and swop good tyre for burst.
Go back and jack up the front again, swop space saver for good tyre from the rear.
Back to the back and change the burst tyre from the front, now at the rear, for the space saver.

:shock:

Is this actually written down somewhere officially. Cos I'd never have thought to do other than put the space saver on the front....
Philr

Post by Philr »

Davie Scotland wrote: Wed Aug 17, 2022 1:28 pm
A space saver wheel should not be used on the front axle of the car, which means a lot of faffing if that's where the puncture is.
So the procedure in case of a front wheel puncture is....

Jack up the front and change burst tyre for space saver.
Jack up the rear and swop good tyre for burst.
Go back and jack up the front again, swop space saver for good tyre from the rear.
Back to the back and change the burst tyre from the front, now at the rear, for the space saver.

:shock:

Is this actually written down somewhere officially. Cos I'd never have thought to do other than put the space saver on the front....
By which time the mobile tyre fitter has turned up and fitted a replacement :-)
Slightly more seriously there is quite a big difference in rolling circumference between a proper wheel/tyre and even a 17" one that Hyundai use. This means that the wheels on the same axle are turning at different rates even when pointing straight ahead which will put additional load on the differential if on the front axle of a 2wd variant. Obviously even more so when going round corners. This, and the fact that the contact patch on a space save is tiny compared to a proper wheel/tyre, is why they should only be used to get you to a repair place. Personally I wouldn't use them as I think they are dangerous. I'd rather wait for the AA man to come and take me home or the mobile fitter to arrive. I had a Lotus that had no spare and no room for a spare and in the 13 years I owned it I had 2 punctures. That had different size wheel/tyres front and back so it would have needed 2 spares and there wasn't any space for 1 let alone 2. Add to that Colin Chapman's mantra of adding lightness and it just wasn't going to happen. Both times I just got Relayed home by the AA.
Phil

I don't have a carbon footprint because I drive everywhere.

2022 Premium HEV

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post