Battery Reset & Dead Battery (HEV)

All Hyundai Tucson related discussions
Big S

Post by Big S »

What old man has posted makes a lot of sense. There is some issues with the 12 volt battery going flat on other Hyundai models. One poster pointed out if you are having your doors/tailgate open for a while whilst cleaning or loading the car you should put the car in the ready to drive mode. This will enable the DC/DC converter to charge your 12 volt battery from the traction high voltage battery. I appreciate you don't want to be straying too far from the car in case some opportunist decides to jump in and drive it off.!!! They will have to put up with all the bing bongs though because the key is not present.
For info purposes when any door is open 4 interior lights are on unless you have them switched off in the overhead console. The electric tailgate also takes a lot of current to open close it all from your 12 volt battery. When a car is locked as well as the alarm system and door locks taking power other items are still operational, ie a system that searches for your key fob to enable you to open the car when you approach it and the blue link system. These may not draw much power but all add up and come from the possibly too small 12 volt battery.
As there is 684 members on this forum and I know you don't all have HEV versions if you are experiencing the resetting issue then please tell us so we can see how many are experiencing it.

dbrewood

Post by dbrewood »

old man wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 1:31 pm Do you have any suggestions about what we can do to instigate a recall, especially as they're currently denying knowledge of this problem ?
No ideas at all, but I'll be mentioning it to my dealer ASAP.
Car: Hyundai Tucson Ultimate Hybrid in Dark Knight w Tech Pack
Soon to be a Kona N-Line S Hybrid w Lux pack in Denim Blue
dbrewood

Post by dbrewood »

terryp wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 4:39 pm As I've stated before, there is strength in numbers and if we're serious about resolving this we all need to persevere to remove this "never seen this before" response.
I have just sent a "chase" email to Hyundai Customer Service.
The article recently referred to "Do Hybrid Vehicles Get Discharged?" makes great play about the make up of the batteries in the Tucson and the various Battery protection functions to prevent "over discharge" .
Any new technology will be subject to flaws and it's usually the customer that finishes up as the test pilot.

Can you advise the email address you are using to contact Hyundai so I can do the same and follow the same route?
terryp

Post by terryp »

I'm emailing "customer.query@hyundai.co.uk"
I know that this is a valid email address as I received a reply earlier in the year regarding the properties of the Tucson windscreen.
We need to be careful to follow protocol by going through the dealer first and then, when we get the "never had........." reply taking to Hyundai UK.
If I get any response from the emails I have sent to Hyundai, I will post it here.
Tucson Ultimate Auto 230PS in Dark Teal. Love it!!
dbrewood

Post by dbrewood »

Okay thanks I will hit the dealer first then :)
Al94

Post by Al94 »

I've had my HEV for almost a year and as yet haven't encountered this issue.
2022 1.6 TGDi Hybrid 230 Ultimate 5dr 2WD Auto
Philr

Post by Philr »

I don't drive the Tucson much but I asked SWMBO to keep an eye out for resets. She had one the other day, well she didn't the car did, which I have reported to the dealer and await a response.
Phil

I don't have a carbon footprint because I drive everywhere.

2022 Premium HEV
terryp

Post by terryp »

Al94 wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 9:27 pm I've had my HEV for almost a year and as yet haven't encountered this issue.
You would think that if this was a software issue, the problem would be uniform for all HEVs. So this adds credence to it being related to the battery.
Tucson Ultimate Auto 230PS in Dark Teal. Love it!!
old man

Post by old man »

terryp wrote: Wed Aug 17, 2022 7:09 am
Al94 wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 9:27 pm I've had my HEV for almost a year and as yet haven't encountered this issue.
You would think that if this was a software issue, the problem would be uniform for all HEVs. So this adds credence to it being related to the battery.

It also raises the question of, why hasn't A194 (and maybe others) haven't had this problem.
How do you use your car A194 ? Do you drive your car every day, or as with some of us older ones, does it stand idle for a day or two at a time ?
Tucson N Line S 2WD Hybrid Auto
alan sh

Post by alan sh »

A silly thought. Why not put a supplementary 12v battery in the system. Even a small motorcycle battery would probably stop this problem.
Alan

I own a 2022 Ultimate Hybrid with Tech Pack - in Red (best colour).
Also have two motorcycles. Honda CB1300 and Honda CBF1000 (also red, of course).

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post