Battery Reset & Dead Battery (HEV)

All Hyundai Tucson related discussions
Al94

Post by Al94 »

old man wrote: Wed Aug 17, 2022 7:48 am
terryp wrote: Wed Aug 17, 2022 7:09 am
Al94 wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 9:27 pm I've had my HEV for almost a year and as yet haven't encountered this issue.
You would think that if this was a software issue, the problem would be uniform for all HEVs. So this adds credence to it being related to the battery.

It also raises the question of, why hasn't A194 (and maybe others) haven't had this problem.
How do you use your car A194 ? Do you drive your car every day, or as with some of us older ones, does it stand idle for a day or two at a time ?
I'm retired and have done 6K miles in the year. Car isn't used every day and can frequently sit 2/3 days. Quite a lot of short local runs especially over the winter, minimal motorway use, main long runs would be at holiday times.
2022 1.6 TGDi Hybrid 230 Ultimate 5dr 2WD Auto

dbrewood

Post by dbrewood »

Probably, as it'd invalidate the warranty?
Car: Hyundai Tucson Ultimate Hybrid in Dark Knight w Tech Pack
Soon to be a Kona N-Line S Hybrid w Lux pack in Denim Blue
old man

Post by old man »

Al94 wrote: Wed Aug 17, 2022 8:50 am
old man wrote: Wed Aug 17, 2022 7:48 am
terryp wrote: Wed Aug 17, 2022 7:09 am
You would think that if this was a software issue, the problem would be uniform for all HEVs. So this adds credence to it being related to the battery.

It also raises the question of, why hasn't A194 (and maybe others) haven't had this problem.
How do you use your car A194 ? Do you drive your car every day, or as with some of us older ones, does it stand idle for a day or two at a time ?
I'm retired and have done 6K miles in the year. Car isn't used every day and can frequently sit 2/3 days. Quite a lot of short local runs especially over the winter, minimal motorway use, main long runs would be at holiday times.
Thankyou for the info, although it doesn't move us forward as your usage seems much the same as mine. The only thing that springs immediately to mind, is that your car is 6 months older than mine, so maybe in the interim Hyundai have fitted different components or even omitted some. It's common knowledge that manufacturing situations changed during Covid, so maybe Hyundai had to source the 12V batteries from elsewhere - just a thought.
Tucson N Line S 2WD Hybrid Auto
dbrewood

Post by dbrewood »

Okay, I've just gone back to my dealer with:
I got hit the other days with the 'system reset' whereby the settings reverted (temperature reset from 18 to 22 degrees and the middle speed indication replaced by the virtual car graphic). This was followed the next day by the 'flat battery lockout' whereby I had to use the 'battery reset' button to get the car going again.

....I've logged the days both issues took place and am waiting to see when they next occurs. I'm logging them with you as possible faults on the car. Both 'seem' to be known issues, as there are a lot of threads on the US of A and UK Tucson forums over both problems.

Evidently Hyundai are saying that neither are 'accepted / known' issues and folks are arguing back. From what has been said the path to follow is report via the dealership (hence this email) and then Hyundai customer care if nothing comes back from Hyundai via the dealership route.
We'll see what they come back with.
old man

Post by old man »

Good man, but don't hold your breath lest you expire before a reply is forthcoming. :(

I wonder what percentage of new Tucsons sold in the UK are HEVs ?
Tucson N Line S 2WD Hybrid Auto
terryp

Post by terryp »

dbrewood wrote: Wed Aug 17, 2022 11:32 am Okay, I've just gone back to my dealer with:
I got hit the other days with the 'system reset' whereby the settings reverted (temperature reset from 18 to 22 degrees and the middle speed indication replaced by the virtual car graphic). This was followed the next day by the 'flat battery lockout' whereby I had to use the 'battery reset' button to get the car going again.

Just to continue the point.
After having doors open for a few minutes yesterday (to clean the interior) this morning the car had carried out what I can only describe as a Factory Reset.
Just about every personal setting had reset, including for the first time Date/Time, Map Resets, the Welcome Note returning (ugh!) and the Mode button on the left of the wheel to switch between the USB and Radio. I could go on.........but I'll spare you.
I have sent yet another detailed email to Hyundai, and an email to the dealer who carried out the Hard Reset 3 weeks ago.
When I next clean the car interior, I will keep the ignition on. I haven't got time for all this.
Tucson Ultimate Auto 230PS in Dark Teal. Love it!!
dbrewood

Post by dbrewood »

Yeah we'll see. I love the car but I've never had any issues like this with any other car I've owned. It does put me off going with Hyundai again in the future.
Apk4791

Post by Apk4791 »

Hi folks, new to this forum and reading through this thread with similar issue to me. Not having a good time with my Tucson at all. After 3 weeks from new my 2022 N-line PHEV let me down with a flat battery. Happened a few times more and left it back to dealership to look at. A month and a half later it is still with the dealership who have said the source of the problem is a fuse module that is in global short supply. In the meantime they’ve provided me with a like for like vehicle, a Ford Puma?????? I’m now longer without the car than the time I actually got to enjoy it. I have been out considerable personal expense on this and The dealership and Hyundai UK are more or less saying to suck it up. Any advice?
Deleted User 487

Post by Deleted User 487 »

Are you referring to the large traction battery or the 12v?
roadster

Post by roadster »

Apk4791 wrote: Thu Aug 18, 2022 10:42 pm Hi folks, new to this forum and reading through this thread with similar issue to me. Not having a good time with my Tucson at all. After 3 weeks from new my 2022 N-line PHEV let me down with a flat battery. Happened a few times more and left it back to dealership to look at. A month and a half later it is still with the dealership who have said the source of the problem is a fuse module that is in global short supply. In the meantime they’ve provided me with a like for like vehicle, a Ford Puma?????? I’m now longer without the car than the time I actually got to enjoy it. I have been out considerable personal expense on this and The dealership and Hyundai UK are more or less saying to suck it up. Any advice?
This is no doubt annoying but its not the same problem as the HEV one because your PHEV has a normal lead-acid battery which is charged from the traction battery when the car is switched on and also when it is plugged in. With any new car I always fully charge the battery as soon as possible after delivery because you can never be sure how long it has been in transit or hung around at the dealership. If you can't get a better response from the dealer it could be worth contact Hyundai directly. They do have other options such as providing a truly equivalent car or taking the required component ( if that really is the cause ) from another vehicle.

How often ( if ever ) were you able to charge the traction battery before the 12 volt system went flat? I find that my 12 volt battery has not needed attention because I have been using electric mode almost exclusively and plug-in recharging frequently.
Tucson PHEV Premium

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post