Battery Reset & Dead Battery (HEV)

All Hyundai Tucson related discussions
Apk4791

Post by Apk4791 »

It is the 12v battery that there is a drain on. The Traction battery was always kept topped up with the 12V going dead even when traction at 100%. Car was driven on some big journeys and used electric around city. I really liked the car for the 3 weeks I got to drive it but feel at a loss to where to go to next with this. Hyundai UK are saying same thing as Dealer and I doubt very much that Hyundai International (if there is such s thing) would be that concerned about my woes!!

AZ2021

Post by AZ2021 »

When you guys are talking about resets: when the profiles/settings are reset do they reset to the default "Driver 1" name, thus deleting whatever you have changed it to, or is it not this obvious?
2022 Tucson Ultimate Hybrid, with tech pack.
Deleted User 487

Post by Deleted User 487 »

Experiences seem to vary, from air con and some cluster personalisation, to instances of most settings (including profile). resetting.

Air con and cluster seem the most common.
Last edited by Deleted User 487 on Fri Aug 19, 2022 9:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
old man

Post by old man »

when the profiles/settings are reset do they reset to the default "Driver 1"
This is not about anyone doing a manual reset of profiles. It would appear that on HEV models, when the 12V lithium battery runs low of charge, certain settings that we've been using shut down and/or revert to default. e.g the air con will either shut itself off or the temperature will revert to 22 degrees from whatever we left it set on.
It seems that the 12V battery cannot hold enough charge to keep everything that needs power when the car is switched off e.g. the alarm system.
This is what we currently believe, but if you have another (plausible) explanation, there's a few of us here that would like to hear it.
Tucson N Line S 2WD Hybrid Auto
AZ2021

Post by AZ2021 »

Thanks RichardE.

Old Man, I think there may be some misunderstanding (sorry). I know it's not about manually/intentionally resetting, it was more "when they are reset (by the fault)" opposed to "when you reset them".

So what I am asking is when the fault happens, and things reset, does it wipe 'Joe Smith' and 'Berty Wilks' and default back to 'Driver 1 and 2', or are the resets not as overt?
2022 Tucson Ultimate Hybrid, with tech pack.
old man

Post by old man »

So what I am asking is when the fault happens, and things reset, does it wipe 'Joe Smith' and 'Berty Wilks' and default back to 'Driver 1 and 2', or are the resets not as overt?
I can't succinctly answer your question because I don't use or look at driver profiles. The driver profile in my car was set to GUEST by the salesman who sold me the car and I've never changed from that.
I don't understand what point you're trying to make. As far as I know, the settings that we're losing are not part of a driver profile, they are just settings we use and change on a daily basis. So for example; today I had the air con ON and set to 18C and that's how it was when I turned off the ignition. The next time I get in the car, the air con is off completely or the temp has reset to 22C (which for some reason is the default setting).

When we use the word RESET in this context, it's just a word that we've used to describe what's happening and currently, to our knowledge, settings that disappear or revert to default are caused by low power in the 12V battery. It appears that when then battery power drops to a certain level, it shuts off power to certain functions and those functions revert to default settings once power is restored. We then have to re-enter those settings.
Liken it to a power cut at home and your clocks in the house either default to 0000, or _ _ _ _ and you then have to re-enter the correct time.
Last edited by old man on Sat Aug 20, 2022 8:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
dbrewood

Post by dbrewood »

Exactly, plus sometimes the battery charge is that low the car can't be unlocked and you have to unlock it manually and to a hit the button on the dashboard to get it back into life. (I've retitled the thread to be more accurate).
Car: Hyundai Tucson Ultimate Hybrid in Dark Knight w Tech Pack
Soon to be a Kona N-Line S Hybrid w Lux pack in Denim Blue
Beards

Post by Beards »

I’ve not received my Tucson PHEV Ultimate with Tech Pack (just mentioning all in case it matters) but I would like to know how long it takes to deplete the battery for Alarms/Doors/Infotainment/etc,etc if left standing.

Don’t get me wrong; whilst garaged I will leave it plugged in and forget about it until needed.
My issue though is when I’m away leaving the car at home; my lovely lady wife will park it on the drive and leave it…. And leave it… and yes, leave it!

So, as a rough estimate how long does it take to deplete if left unattended?
Thanks in advance. 👍
Tucson PHEV Ultimate + Tech Pack. Amazon Grey/Moss Grey
Ordered: 10 May 2022
Estimated Delivery: Oct/Nov/Dec/Jan/Feb 2022/23
Dealers: 28 Feb 2023
Pick up: 08 Mar 2023
Refused: 08 Mar 2023
New Order: 08 Mar 2023
Picked up: 18 Jan 2024
old man

Post by old man »

Beards wrote: Sat Aug 20, 2022 10:59 am I’ve not received my Tucson PHEV Ultimate with Tech Pack (just mentioning all in case it matters) but I would like to know how long it takes to deplete the battery for Alarms/Doors/Infotainment/etc,etc if left standing.

Don’t get me wrong; whilst garaged I will leave it plugged in and forget about it until needed.
My issue though is when I’m away leaving the car at home; my lovely lady wife will park it on the drive and leave it…. And leave it… and yes, leave it!

So, as a rough estimate how long does it take to deplete if left unattended?
Thanks in advance. 👍
You're asking in the wrong thread. What is being discussed here concerns HEV models, not PHEV models which have a different battery system.
Somebody who has a PHEV will better advise you about your question e,g Roadster seems to have a very good handle on how the PHEV system operates.
Mar10

Post by Mar10 »

It would be interesting to get an idea of length of time that causes the ‘reset’ is though, although it’s only relevant to those of us with HEV power unit.

I left mine for 4 days unused this week without any issues. The resets that I’ve had have always been after using accessories for a longer period without the engine running.

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post