Android Auto, Google Maps and radio, simultaneously

All Hyundai Tucson related discussions
XADE

Post by XADE »

italianjob1970 wrote: Mon Jul 17, 2023 3:31 pm
XADE wrote: Mon Jul 17, 2023 3:22 pm
italianjob1970 wrote: Mon Jul 17, 2023 3:10 pm

Been using my MA1 mine since April now and it hasn't missed a beat. I always use/prefer Android Auto features in all the cars I've owned above those that are built in.
That's good to know, from what I just briefly looked into the Carlinkit dongles seem to suffer from a lot of lag. MA1 was another on the list to have a look at.

I'm a big Android fan but I've not really missed AA as yet, it would be much easier to control my music rather than either selecting a playlist on mobile or my Pixel watch in some situations.
I love just being able to jump in the car, start it and then tell Spotify to play whichever music I fancy. The steering wheel voice control is also great for emergency rerouting via Google Maps when in traffic.
Will it autoconnect as soon as you get in the car also? Chucking my phone on the charging pad with AA popping up in a short time would be ideal.
2022 Ultimate - Phantom Black

XADE

Post by XADE »

Unimatrix wrote: Mon Jul 17, 2023 5:04 pm
XADE wrote: Mon Jul 17, 2023 3:07 pm How are people getting on with their dongles? No jokes. In particular I was looking at the Carlinkit 4.0 (I notice there's a version 5.0 now too)

I also really need to be able to hide it as it would drive me nuts. No jokes again.

I know Hyundai hinted at the 10" screen wireless being enabled, but I'd like to try it for summer trips, and who knows if that will ever happen anyway.

I used to have a Carlinkit 4.0 but returned it within a week as i had some frustrating experiences with it.
But might just have been me,
I don't think you're alone judging by the Youtube comments I read earlier.

Did you switch to another?
Unimatrix

Post by Unimatrix »

XADE wrote: Mon Jul 17, 2023 5:11 pm
Unimatrix wrote: Mon Jul 17, 2023 5:04 pm
XADE wrote: Mon Jul 17, 2023 3:07 pm How are people getting on with their dongles? No jokes. In particular I was looking at the Carlinkit 4.0 (I notice there's a version 5.0 now too)

I also really need to be able to hide it as it would drive me nuts. No jokes again.

I know Hyundai hinted at the 10" screen wireless being enabled, but I'd like to try it for summer trips, and who knows if that will ever happen anyway.

I used to have a Carlinkit 4.0 but returned it within a week as i had some frustrating experiences with it.
But might just have been me,
I don't think you're alone judging by the Youtube comments I read earlier.

Did you switch to another?

Nah, at the time i wanted to switch to an MA1 as they were the only official wireless auto box at the time, but they were in high demand and short supply so never bothered.
Have considered getting another one but happy enough just usung the short cable i got and patiently waiting to see if they enable Wireless in car if possible.
2022 Tucson Ultimate Petrol
Deleted User 1130

Post by Deleted User 1130 »

I got a carlinkit 4.0 mainly because it supports both AA and carplay. Some issues but mainly it's a little show as it's really designed for Apple Carplay and is doing some translation to support Android Auto. It's ok but I wouldn't recommend it. Carlinkit 5.0 however supports both Carplay and AA via their native protocols so no more translation. From what I've seen tested on a Kia EV6 the boot up time was very quick compared to even dedicated adaptors. The lag issue of the carlinkit 4.0 seems to have been resolved. However, as with most adapters there is an occasional dropout but supposedly it recovers quickly. I've read the reviews of the MA1 and the AAWireless and as always there are too many opinions out there. Best to get the feedback from the forum and people who use them in anger, but members need to be honest when providing feedback. Just be ready as most if not all third party adapter seem to have some compromises.

I'm gonna try the carlinkit 5 as I still want AA and carplay without the need for seperate adapters. It would be nice, but I doubt that there will be an update for native wireless AA/Carplay in the pipeline. Even on Hyundais website they say speak to your dealer about future wireless AA/Carplay compatibility as I know the dispute between Hyundai and Google has now been resolved paving the way for wireless

However, I suspect the Tucson facelift will bring wireless AA/CP amongst other things.
italianjob1970

Post by italianjob1970 »

XADE wrote: Mon Jul 17, 2023 5:11 pm
italianjob1970 wrote: Mon Jul 17, 2023 3:31 pm
XADE wrote: Mon Jul 17, 2023 3:22 pm

That's good to know, from what I just briefly looked into the Carlinkit dongles seem to suffer from a lot of lag. MA1 was another on the list to have a look at.

I'm a big Android fan but I've not really missed AA as yet, it would be much easier to control my music rather than either selecting a playlist on mobile or my Pixel watch in some situations.
I love just being able to jump in the car, start it and then tell Spotify to play whichever music I fancy. The steering wheel voice control is also great for emergency rerouting via Google Maps when in traffic.
Will it autoconnect as soon as you get in the car also? Chucking my phone on the charging pad with AA popping up in a short time would be ideal.
Yes, it connects as soon as the infotainment system boots up. I pop my phone on the charge pad and it keeps it fully charged even with AA connected and in use (Galaxy S23)
23 Tucson 230 HEV
XADE

Post by XADE »

Hyun-day! wrote: Mon Jul 17, 2023 6:55 pm I got a carlinkit 4.0 mainly because it supports both AA and carplay. Some issues but mainly it's a little show as it's really designed for Apple Carplay and is doing some translation to support Android Auto. It's ok but I wouldn't recommend it. Carlinkit 5.0 however supports both Carplay and AA via their native protocols so no more translation. From what I've seen tested on a Kia EV6 the boot up time was very quick compared to even dedicated adaptors. The lag issue of the carlinkit 4.0 seems to have been resolved. However, as with most adapters there is an occasional dropout but supposedly it recovers quickly. I've read the reviews of the MA1 and the AAWireless and as always there are too many opinions out there. Best to get the feedback from the forum and people who use them in anger, but members need to be honest when providing feedback. Just be ready as most if not all third party adapter seem to have some compromises.

I'm gonna try the carlinkit 5 as I still want AA and carplay without the need for seperate adapters. It would be nice, but I doubt that there will be an update for native wireless AA/Carplay in the pipeline. Even on Hyundais website they say speak to your dealer about future wireless AA/Carplay compatibility as I know the dispute between Hyundai and Google has now been resolved paving the way for wireless

However, I suspect the Tucson facelift will bring wireless AA/CP amongst other things.
Agree with the mixed opinions, and after some further research I think I will be giving the Carlinkit 5.0 a try. As you mention there's no conversion from CarPlay to AA now, so hopefully that helps with any lag in the previous models too.
Deleted User 1130

Post by Deleted User 1130 »

XADE wrote: Tue Jul 18, 2023 10:39 am
Hyun-day! wrote: Mon Jul 17, 2023 6:55 pm I got a carlinkit 4.0 mainly because it supports both AA and carplay. Some issues but mainly it's a little show as it's really designed for Apple Carplay and is doing some translation to support Android Auto. It's ok but I wouldn't recommend it. Carlinkit 5.0 however supports both Carplay and AA via their native protocols so no more translation. From what I've seen tested on a Kia EV6 the boot up time was very quick compared to even dedicated adaptors. The lag issue of the carlinkit 4.0 seems to have been resolved. However, as with most adapters there is an occasional dropout but supposedly it recovers quickly. I've read the reviews of the MA1 and the AAWireless and as always there are too many opinions out there. Best to get the feedback from the forum and people who use them in anger, but members need to be honest when providing feedback. Just be ready as most if not all third party adapter seem to have some compromises.

Agree with the mixed opinions, and after some further research I think I will be giving the Carlinkit 5.0 a try. As you mention there's no conversion from CarPlay to AA now, so hopefully that helps with any lag in the previous models too.
After paying over the odds for the Carlinkit 4, I've waited until a decent deal came along on an original Carlinkit 5. It arrived this morning. Paid £46 (£50 - 8% discount from ebay). Cheapest on Amazon was £95 which I think is too expensive. Aliexpress slightly cheaper but wait times and hassle of return etc etc. The adaptor itself is really small. Two usbs (A-C & C-C), a sticky pad and instructions. I'm going to get it setup and working and test it for a few weeks before reporting back. I have high hopes for this adaptor so if you're interested, 'watch this space'

20230821_121453.jpg

Unimatrix

Post by Unimatrix »

Hyun-day! wrote: Mon Aug 21, 2023 11:36 am
XADE wrote: Tue Jul 18, 2023 10:39 am

After paying over the odds for the Carlinkit 4, I've waited until a decent deal came along on an original Carlinkit 5. It arrived this morning. Paid £46 (£50 - 8% discount from ebay). Cheapest on Amazon was £95 which I think is too expensive. Aliexpress slightly cheaper but wait times and hassle of return etc etc. The adaptor itself is really small. Two usbs (A-C & C-C), a sticky pad and instructions. I'm going to get it setup and working and test it for a few weeks before reporting back. I have high hopes for this adaptor so if you're interested, 'watch this space'

I'd be interested, please keep us updated.
I had the 4.0 and did not like it so I'd be interested to see how the 5.0 performs.
2022 Tucson Ultimate Petrol

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post