The proper way to drive the automatic?

All Hyundai Tucson related discussions
roadster

Post by roadster »

Hyundai are not keen on releasing any information about their hybrid transmission but my understanding is that the PHEV does use a "real" six speed gearbox and automatic changes are made using dual clutches. These changes are mostly so smooth that they are unnoticeable but sometimes the driver is aware of them. I don't know how reverse is implemented but it does have an annoying tendency to suddenly increase speed for no apparent reason.
Tucson PHEV Premium

MikeSwift

Post by MikeSwift »

I lost my right leg as a child and I am only allowed to drive an automatic adapted with a left foot accelerator.
Over the last 55 years I have driven Mini's, Ford's, Cavalier's, Neon's, Astra's, a VW, a Kia and a couple of Tuscons.
I've always used the same method.
Apply foot brake, start engine, select forward or reverse, release hand brake, press accelerator.
I've never had anything fail or not work.
My last 4 cars have had Auto"hand" brakes and I've never had a problem with those.
2023 Tucson Ultimate Automatic Petrol MHEV Serenity White Pearl.
PhilHornby

Post by PhilHornby »

MikeSwift wrote: Sun Dec 10, 2023 1:35 am I've never had anything fail or not work.
I think most 'normal' cars can take a lot of abuse, but there's a great story about an Audi R8 that was left sitting in "D" by a valet in a high-end car storage facility. Apparently, the car's DSG gearbox automatically starts looking for the 'bite point', ready for the ultimate launch :o

Leave it long enough and bye bye clutch :(

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MIz64aKAS8Y
N Line S Hybrid (HEV).
23 plate - built Nov '22

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post