Headlamps not very effective

All Hyundai Tucson related discussions
Gibson

Post by Gibson »

Mine was delivered with the headlamp height on lowest setting and they were awful. the right setting is as high as possible with no heavy load. Its the little wheel to the right of the steering wheel on the dash low down, above your right knee. Makes a world of diference.

Robbit

Post by Robbit »

I adjusted mine and found the improvement was on par with fitting Osram Nightbreakers. It's also worth mentioning that my city car's headlamps are not only better than my Tucson SE, but better than the Tucson LED headlamps. Perhaps the low position on the Tucson 21-23 is restricting the output.
Deleted User 1711

Post by Deleted User 1711 »

Tucson uses the older LED technology as compared to the Sportage I believe. They would benefit from a longer throw as the beam pattern seems to be wide rather than long, even when set correctly. However, they do the job and the HBA works well.

The facelift appears to get the new generation led matrix adaptive headlamps. Be interesting to see a comparison when the new model appears.
Yorkie

Post by Yorkie »

https://www.rac.co.uk/drive/news/motori ... ght-glare/

Are they poor or just not as bright as other cars?
1.6 TGDi Plug-in Hybrid Ultimate 5dr 4WD Dark Knight Grey
Indalo

Post by Indalo »

I’m in agreement with others who may be disappointed by the effectiveness of the LED headlamps. Curiously, in spite of advances in technology’, the headlamp effectiveness on my last four cars has become progressively worse. From 2005 - 2012, I had bi-Xenons which were outstanding. 2012-2016, I had LEDs (if I remember correctly) on an i40 Tourer, which were nowhere near as good as the previous Xenons. Again from 2016-2023, I had LEDs with dynamic bending lamps which were ok....ish but I always felt they could be better.

Since last June, I have had the Tucson and having gone through the switchable settings in the cabin, like others, I am disappointed in the output as it seems lacking in distance and penetration, even on the highest setting.

I can live with the lamps but in ‘Ultimate’ trim spec, I expected better.
2023 Tucson Hybrid (HEV) Ultimate; ordered 12/05/23 - collected from dealership 07/06/23.
Robbit

Post by Robbit »

Yorkie wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2024 9:12 am https://www.rac.co.uk/drive/news/motori ... ght-glare/

Excellent point.

I've been driving since the late 70s having owned everything from a Mk1 Cortina through to the Sierras, Granada's, Marina's, and even a Reliant Robin. Lights were not a real issue in these cars as most of us were not driving at the speeds we do today on rural roads. Most A and B roads back then had good street lighting including the motorways. I often have to squint when for example a Range Rover is heading towards me on most roads despite the fact I know they are using low beam. Modern cars with high output lights in order to see whilst driving at higher speeds.
Philr

Post by Philr »

Robbit wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2024 11:02 am
Yorkie wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2024 9:12 am https://www.rac.co.uk/drive/news/motori ... ght-glare/

Excellent point.

I've been driving since the late 70s having owned everything from a Mk1 Cortina through to the Sierras, Granada's, Marina's, and even a Reliant Robin. Lights were not a real issue in these cars as most of us were not driving at the speeds we do today on rural roads. Most A and B roads back then had good street lighting including the motorways. I often have to squint when for example a Range Rover is heading towards me on most roads despite the fact I know they are using low beam. Modern cars with high output lights in order to see whilst driving at higher speeds.
You are not alone. The RAC is urging change :-
https://www.rac.co.uk/drive/news/motori ... ght-glare/
Phil

I don't have a carbon footprint because I drive everywhere.

2022 Premium HEV
alan sh

Post by alan sh »

Best lights I ever had were on a Suzuki GS750 back in the late 70's. It had Cibie spotlights on and I could see for about 1/2 mile up the road when they were on.

Alan
Alan

I own a 2022 Ultimate Hybrid with Tech Pack - in Red (best colour).
Also have two motorcycles. Honda CB1300 and Honda CBF1000 (also red, of course).