Undertray trashed

All Hyundai Tucson related discussions
Robbit

Post by Robbit »

DotDotDotDot wrote: Sat Jan 06, 2024 2:26 pm
ClassicPete wrote: Sat Jan 06, 2024 11:21 am Managed to locate a second hand tray from a breakers here in the Midlands. Cost me £120 and a couple of gallons of fuel to collect. Then half an hour to remove the old one and refit the replacement. All straight forward with 7 bolts and 3 rivnut style fixings.
That's quite badly damaged. I wonder if something in addition to the standing pond has impacted that.
There has been an issue with loose bolts on these undertrays causing a whistling / rattling sound. Makes you wonder if this was the case here, loose bolts along with a rush of water causing the tray to give. Memo to self : Check tightness of undertray fixings !

One example here: https://www.tucson-forum.com/threads/pl ... 116/page-2

Gibson

Post by Gibson »

Water will do that, ask any springboard diver, water is hard when hit at speed. I followed a twit in a Range rover through water and he left a trail of car body parts.
ClassicPete

Post by ClassicPete »

Robbit wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2024 12:15 pm Are those cracks on the two raised center sections on the replacement part?
Yes, two small cracks, but not worrisome. Not knowing the history of the car it was removed from, or even how it was removed, so I would have been more surprised if it had been perfect
2023 Hyundai Tucson Ultimate Hybrid 230 Amazon Grey/Moss Grey trim
1990 MG Maestro Turbo #436 of 505
1973 Semi-works Austin Allegro Rally Car
Tucson Ordered 9/8/22
Arrived Tilbury 21/12/22
Collected 27/1/23
GrumpyDad

Post by GrumpyDad »

If you haven't fitted the replacement yet, it might be worth having somebody plastic weld and repair the cracks to extend the shield's life (and avoid any potential whistling/wind noise).
2023 1.6 TGDi 150 Ultimate, manual 2WD in red, with black interior.

Fantastic gadgets and tech, shame about certain "Safety" features...
(Lane Keeping Assistance having to be manually disengaged every start up, I'm looking at you!)
roadster

Post by roadster »

A break in the weather allowed me to crawl under the car and get the nearside undertray off a few days ago. Being a sort of flexible fibre material it doesn't lend itself to reinforcement with any plastic repairs but it should be possible to use glass fibre with epoxy resin. In my case one corner was about to break off so I have reinforced it with a pop rivetted flexible plate and added some strong tape and epoxy filler to close the crack. I am fairly confident it is now stronger than the original which was flimsy at best. I wonder if the air gap at the front is deliberately designed to help cool the traction battery box. But unfortunately it can also scoop up water!

Incidentally the PHEV version isn't quite the same as the one in your photo but its obviously just as vulnerable.
Tucson PHEV Premium