Query about petrol consumption

All Hyundai Tucson related discussions
smithy67

Post by smithy67 »

Impressed so far

20220913_195541.jpg

Last edited by smithy67 on Wed Sep 14, 2022 5:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Les

Ultimate 230 HEV sunset red
Ordered 29th January 2022
Collected 14th August 2022

alan sh

Post by alan sh »

That's very good. What roads was that on and how fast were you going?
Alan

I own a 2022 Ultimate Hybrid with Tech Pack - in Red (best colour).
Also have two motorcycles. Honda CB1300 and Honda CBF1000 (also red, of course).
smithy67

Post by smithy67 »

About 50/50 b roads and dual carriageways. Kept to about 59/60 on dual carriageways
Les

Ultimate 230 HEV sunset red
Ordered 29th January 2022
Collected 14th August 2022
alan sh

Post by alan sh »

Yes, that would be good for consumption.
Alan

Also have two motorcycles. Honda CB1300 and Honda CBF1000 (also red, of course).
Lee11223

Post by Lee11223 »

Hi All,

Iv come across this thread and im really intrigued with the conversation. I own a 2017 diesel tucson and travel many miles on the motorway to work and back but reading through this thread many of you achieve the same mpg but with a petrol hev!? From a full tank to empty my average mpg is around 41-45mpg. How is the petrol hev competing with this?
Really interested as my time with my tucson will be coming to an end soon and now i am torn if a petrol hev might be good enough to move onto.
Any input from would be really helpful.
-------------------------------------------------------

Lee - lead footed depening on how much time i have to get to work.
Indalo

Post by Indalo »

Lee11223 wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2024 11:14 am many of you achieve the same mpg but with a petrol hev!?
Welcome to the forum, ‘Lee11223’.

Firstly, car forums are notorious for producing some real bullshine when it comes to fuel economy figures. This one is no different. None of us has the same driving profile as you so it’s automatically unfair to draw comparisons with other people’s driving situations. That said, if you look at the ‘official’ fuel consumption figures produced by the manufacturer and accept the fact that 99.9% of drivers fail to achieve those figures in the course of their typical daily driving experience, you would be starting to answer your own question.

Only through driving as though every journey is a fuel economy competition can any ordinary motorist get anywhere approaching the laboratory-achieved figures.

Make no mistake though, technological advances have made many petrol engines considerably more economical today than they were around the turn of the century. Back then, few petrol-powered cars could achieve economy in the same league as comparable diesels. That gap has narrowed and I can attest to the fact that my 2023 Tucson HEV gets reasonably close to my previous KIA Optima SW which averaged 44 mpg over 6.5 years. It’s pointless to add the nonsense that many like to claim such as.....’but I get 60-70 mpg on a run’.....as all cars vary according to terrain, weather and a host of other factors.

I have noticed a considerable difference between winter driving and summer but I’ll hang fire on any firm numbers until the car has completed all four seasons in my hands which also includes a ‘running-in’ period of a couple of months.

There is considerable disparity between the various Tucson models in the range, both in terms of performance and economy so, should you be considering one of the latest Tucsons, you need to do your homework and take a lengthy test-drive before committing.

Oh, forgot to mention. mine is the HEV in ‘Ultimate’ trim.
2023 Tucson Hybrid (HEV) Ultimate; ordered 12/05/23 - collected from dealership 07/06/23.
alan sh

Post by alan sh »

In my experience, an HEV gets better consumption because the electric motor supplements the engine so it (the engine) is always trying to work in its most economical mode. Also, the electric motor can take over and the engine stops. Braking also feeds the battery so that helps too (my wife brakes more than I do - and gets better fuel consumption, whereas I try and drive without using the brakes as I was taught).

So, yes, I get 41-45 mpg during the summer. In winter, it does go down because the battery really suffers when the temp is below 10c.

Alan
Alan

roadster

Post by roadster »

Lee11223 wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2024 11:14 am I own a 2017 diesel tucson and travel many miles on the motorway to work and back but reading through this thread many of you achieve the same mpg but with a petrol hev!?
The figures you get from your diesel are about the same as I have seen over long periods with both the RAV4 and my present Tucson PHEV, both being 4 wheel drive. The differences are:-

1) Hybrids don't do nearly so well in cold weather.
2) Actual consumption with hybrids is a lot more dependent on the driver and most of us find that the car encourages a smoother style of driving.
3) The hybrids give the option of significantly better acceleration when needed for overtaking.
4) In a worst case scenario such as driving short distances at high speed I have seen the PHEV drop to below 30 mpg and I suspect that the diesel would be self-limiting and would not drop that low.

Finally lets just be clear that the "mild" hybrids are not that good in any conditions.
Tucson PHEV Premium
Lee11223

Post by Lee11223 »

Thank you everyone for your feedback, so much food for thought. Living in the uk kind of feels like a hybrid would be basically suitable for all of 1 month a year (if we're lucky). Really sad theyve discontinued the diesel models but i suppose i will have to adapt. Thank you again for all you information.
Robbit

Post by Robbit »

Poverty Model 1.6 SE

Seen once during a 20 mile drive along a rural A road. Never to be repeated, now back 40/41mpg

MPG.jpg

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post