Last year as I was driving, a load of sensor failures appeared on the dash:
- Driver Attention Warning System (DAW)
- High Bean Assist System (HBA)
- Speed Limit Warning (SLW)
- Lane Keep Assist (LKA)
- Smart Key System
- Blind Spot Assist
Plus another 4/5 systems.

During this time the indicators (Hazards still worked), windscreen wipers and other essential elements failed to work. After driving home using arm signals (!), I left the car overnight and then problem was gone.

Last night it happened again while driving, I continued to drive and 15 minutes later the faults slowly corrected themselves.

The first time it was a very sunny and clear day, last night was typical UK miserable weather.

Has this happened to anyone else? What do you think the issue could be? Faulty fuse? Something shorting the system?
I find it mental that these systems cause the indicators to not function. Both times I was on dual carriageway/Motorway. Puts me in a very unsafe position.

I tried googling the problem and found an American Tucson Forum site which had a similar post. They took their car into the dealership but they couldn't replicate the problem and therefore couldn't diagnose the problem.

WhatsApp Image 2024-02-15 at 09.46.19.jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2024-02-15 at 09.46.20.jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2024-02-15 at 09.46.20 (1).jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2024-02-15 at 09.46.20 (2).jpeg

pharaoh

Post by pharaoh »

First of all, are you in the UK ? I ask because we don't call the Tucson an estate over here.
On a modern car such as the Tucson that is full of electronic/computer controls, there could be any amount of things causing your problem - possibly something as simple as a loose connection somewhere.
Since the first occurence, have you taken the car to a dealer so they could interrogate the system to see if any fault codes were showing ?
If it happens again, try and pull into a safe place and call out the AA using your free breakdown service. Lay it on a bit thick and tell them the car is dangerous to drive and that you're frightened. Hopefully this will get them to you quickly and the faults will still be showing. They should have equipment in their van that will be able to read any fault codes if there are any showing. Probably better to leave the ignition on whilst waiting for them to arrive, as switching it off and on again could well act as a reset, as on a computer. Even if there are no fault codes showing, it will be beneficial if they can witness the Xmas tree lights on your dash.
JamieTucsonUlt

Post by JamieTucsonUlt »

pharaoh wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 12:13 pm First of all, are you in the UK ? I ask because we don't call the Tucson an estate over here.
On a modern car such as the Tucson that is full of electronic/computer controls, there could be any amount of things causing your problem - possibly something as simple as a loose connection somewhere.
Since the first occurence, have you taken the car to a dealer so they could interrogate the system to see if any fault codes were showing ?
If it happens again, try and pull into a safe place and call out the AA using your free breakdown service. Lay it on a bit thick and tell them the car is dangerous to drive and that you're frightened. Hopefully this will get them to you quickly and the faults will still be showing. They should have equipment in their van that will be able to read any fault codes if there are any showing. Probably better to leave the ignition on whilst waiting for them to arrive, as switching it off and on again could well act as a reset, as on a computer. Even if there are no fault codes showing, it will be beneficial if they can witness the Xmas tree lights on your dash.
Yes I am in the UK. I just copied the model name from my documents sent from Hyundai when I purchased the vehicle.
Between the 2 occurrences, I have taken the car in for a service and told them about the issue. They said they couldn't see anything untoward.
I think I will take your advice and do that. Although I do not have the time to wait 4/5 hours for AA to arrive.
alan sh

Post by alan sh »

I vaguely remember something like this before and it turned out to be a loose connector somewhere in the system.

Alan
Alan

I own a 2022 Ultimate Hybrid with Tech Pack - in Red (best colour).
Also have two motorcycles. Honda CB1300 and Honda CBF1000 (also red, of course).
pharaoh

Post by pharaoh »

They said they couldn't see anything untoward.
Unfortunately dealers are not created equal. Likely there were no fault codes showing on your car when in for service and the dealer just left it at that. Some other dealers will go the extra mile to try and solve your problem, especially as it puts you in a potentially dangerous situation. This is why it's a good idea that the AA or a dealer sees the car when the faults are lit up.
Although I do not have the time to wait 4/5 hours for AA to arrive.
Who does, but hopefully it would be quicker if you lay it on and frankly I'd rather wait for them to turn up and maybe get a fix, rather than just driving away and wait for it to happen again.
You could in the interim try a hard reset on the infotainment screen. There is a small hole at the bottom left of the screen into which something like a paper clip can be inserted. Push the clip in for a second or two for a quick reset and for a full reset, push in and hold for a mnimum of 5 secs. You will probably lose some of your personal settings in a hard reset, but no harm will occur and you can easily re-enter those settings.
I've had a not dissimilar situation to yours on another make of car. Dealer checked for loose connections (none found) and did a hard reset after which I no recurrences. It may not work, but it costs nothing and is worth atry.
EJH

Post by EJH »

You've got images to prove a fault existed. No dealer can fob you off with a shrug of the shoulders. If your dealer does, call Hyundai directly and demand a full analysis of your car.
A relatively new car, under warranty that can't wipe a windscreen in the UK is a dangerous weapon! 😳
Good luck 👍
Ultimate 230 Hybrid+Tech pack, Teal & moss grey
Ordered Mar 26th '22
Collected Nov 2nd 2022
31 weeks 4 days :shock: :roll: :roll:
David3

Post by David3 »

Not had this Happen on our Tucson but had a similar thing on our Ford Edge and my father in-law more recently on his GLC Mercedes, in both cases it was due to a voltage drop in the battery, mainly due to short journeys but with a lot of things turned on
Tucson ultimate plug-in with tech pack in Dark Knight grey pearl, not our first colour choice but it was available straight away instead of waiting till next year🙈😂
JamieTucsonUlt

Post by JamieTucsonUlt »

Since my post the problem is occurring every 30 seconds in the car. Faults come on, faults go off. Constant beeping. I think it does sound like a loose wire somewhere or potentially a loose fuse(?).

Optimistic question: does anyone know where the loose wire could be? or know whether it could be a lose fuse? or what fuse the systems run on?

I don't think it would be a drop in voltage due to short journeys as I do around 1500 miles a month on motorways in my car.
roadster

Post by roadster »

I believe this is a hybrid with a lithium 12 volt system? If so that would be the first item to come under suspicion but the cars ODI diagnostics should give some indication. If not constant voltage monitoring using a recording multimeter could show something happening. These meters typically have a USB output to a laptop or similar. If this fault is repeatable I would be surprised if technicians couldn't track it down.
Tucson PHEV Premium
alan sh

Post by alan sh »

JamieTucsonUlt wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2024 1:15 pm Since my post the problem is occurring every 30 seconds in the car. Faults come on, faults go off. Constant beeping. I think it does sound like a loose wire somewhere or potentially a loose fuse(?).

Optimistic question: does anyone know where the loose wire could be? or know whether it could be a lose fuse? or what fuse the systems run on?

I don't think it would be a drop in voltage due to short journeys as I do around 1500 miles a month on motorways in my car.
sorry, I can't remember. I don;t think it was a fuse.

Alan
Alan

I own a 2022 Ultimate Hybrid with Tech Pack - in Red (best colour).
Also have two motorcycles. Honda CB1300 and Honda CBF1000 (also red, of course).

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post