Engine over-revving when dropping out of hybrid battery use

Faults and Technical chat for the Hyundai Tucson
Indalo

Post by Indalo »

PhilHornby wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2024 2:18 pm
In normal ECO mode driving, the fact that the software uses more revs than you would, just illustrates what you've been doing wrong all these years ;)
Nobody likes to have their driving style or ability criticised but I see examples all the time in car forums where drivers fail to make full use of the gifts that modern technology has bestowed on us.

Whether it is Autohold in conjunction with the EPB, incorrect driving practice in automatic cars, a refusal to believe that FCA is actually operational, or not trusting smart cruise control, there are lots of drivers on our roads who seem incapable or are unwilling to practise new skills allowing them to adapt to much of the equipment, gadgets and gizmos in our 21st century cars.

Moreover, many seem to be stuck in a sort of post WW2 mindset when it comes to maintenance and can’t get their head round the fact that our cars don’t require additional oil & filter changes over and above those specified in the maintenance schedule.

I’ve heard all the various justification for refusing to change their ways but still, many of the whinges I read about in forums has little to do with the manufacturer or the dealer and much to do with the fact that the complainants have never learned to drive a modern car properly.
2023 Tucson Hybrid (HEV) Ultimate; ordered 12/05/23 - collected from dealership 07/06/23.

ntaylo

Post by ntaylo »

PhilHornby wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2024 2:18 pm
ntaylo wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 6:06 pm the ICE suddenly started to exhibit gross over-revving due to operating in a lower than normal gear
Gross over-revving is not possible in this vehicle - it has a computer-controlled automatic gearbox!
If you think you can do better than Hyundai's Automotive & Software Engineers, put the car in "Sport" and use the paddles. It still won't let you grossly over (or under) rev the engine though...

Before overtaking, I often put the car in "Sport" and pull the paddle for a downshift. If such a downshift would be inappropriate, it ignores me. During the overtake - despite being in 'manual' - the car will still upshift as and when peak power/the rev limiter is reached. If you try to come to a stop with the car in 6th, you'll see it shuffling down the box, as you decelerate.

In normal ECO mode driving, the fact that the software uses more revs than you would, just illustrates what you've been doing wrong all these years ;)
I take note of your patronising response. This was nothing to do with me thinking I can do better than Hyundai's engineers. Agreed - the "computer-controlled automatic gearbox" works really well most of the time and I am delighted with the vehicle and its performance. However, I know that on the two occasions I described, something went temporarily but seriously awry. The car was running in Smart cruise control on both occasions (though the high revs behaviour continued with the mode disabled). An engine speed sticking at 4,000rpm (55mph) or 4,500rpm (60mph) is not normal behaviour for the auto gearbox.
PhilHornby

Post by PhilHornby »

ntaylo wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2024 10:58 pm I take note of your patronising response.
Apologies if I caused upset - it was not my intention.

My point is though: This powertrain is (I assume), like nothing you have encountered before. What, when and why, it does what it does, is not under our control. Perhaps it was revving to charge one of the batteries, or power the heater, or it's part of its GPF regeneration strategy? Who knows? It's been noted before, that it does like to use 'high' revs when climbing hills.

It's worth saying, that there's nothing inherently "wrong" with the engine revving at 4000rpm for lengthy periods. On my motorcycle, I never let the revs drop below 4000rpm - because it's out of its power band.
N Line S Hybrid (HEV).
23 plate - built Nov '22

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post