Future plans for hybrid 4WD 230ps auto

All Hyundai Tucson related discussions
VB32

Post by VB32 »

Hi, really interested in purchasing Tucson - after passenger ride in Hybrid ultimate 230ps 2WD

However, my ideal spec would be Tucson ultimate hybrid 230ps 4WD.

I can see Hyundai do not offer this model but Kia do in their Sportage range - but I prefer looks of Tucson model.

Does anyone know of plans for Hyundai to offer 4WD version of its Hybrid model?
I do not have need for PHEV model of Tucson and also the higher annual car tax cost, I’m buying as a private purchase.

My other option is to go for Tucson MHEV 180ps 4WD in DCT, but not sure if this would feel slower than Hybrid version?

Any help/advice appreciated 👍

old man

Post by old man »

I can't answer your question , but my instincts tell me that after the better part of 2 years on the UK market there's unlikely to be any more 4WD models.
Do you really need 4WD or do you just want it ?
Tucson N Line S 2WD Hybrid Auto
VB32

Post by VB32 »

In reality may have 3 to 4 days of year of snow where I live in South Wales valleys, and could manage without car for those days
Just always liked the idea of SUV having 4WD.

I do feel the driving experience with regards to power and fuel consumption will be better in the Hybrid than MHEV.

I can see you have the Hybrid model, are you happy with your choice?
old man

Post by old man »

are you happy with your choice?
In short - yes, very happy.
I'd just written you a long dissertation about my car, which then promptly disappeared before I sent it, so let me know if you want more info and I'll rewrite it.
I'm not a high mileage driver and generally treat my cars nicely, so I can't speak for the longevity of the Tucson. So bearing that in mind, I would recommend the Tucson, but as with any buying choice, we all have different wants and needs, so make sure the Tucson has what you want in a car.

In your shoes, I would discard the idea of 4WD, which will mean you can get the spec you want. If driving on snowy roads for a few days a year bothers you, use the money you save by not having 4WD on a decent set of all weather tyres which some people reckon will give better grip on snow than 4WD with summer tyres fitted.
Alternatively, buy a set of winter tyres and have them swapped twice a year with the summer tyres.
VB32

Post by VB32 »

Thank you for taking time reply, really appreciate the advice

I was impressed with short passenger trip in the Hybrid Tucson - the build quality and equipment levels was superb, given price point of car.

Your suggestion of changing to all season tyres could be good solution.

Hopefully the Hybrid will provide cheaper running costs for fuel, than my current Focus RS (23mpg) and more relaxed approach to driving.
old man

Post by old man »

Hopefully the Hybrid will provide cheaper running costs for fuel, than my current Focus RS (23mpg) and more relaxed approach to driving.
Without a doubt it will. I'm no boy racer but I do like to push on when conditions allow and I'm getting anywhere between low and high forties with local driving. There are others seeing consumption reach into the 50s. As with any car, the consumption will plummet as your speed rises, but even speeding around at 80mph plus on French motorways, the lowest I saw was 32mpg which was about the same as the highest I saw in a previous petrol 4WD Skoda Kodiaq.
Whilst not as fast as your Ford, the hybrid Tucson is no slouch, especially off the line with the electrical assistance. The top speed is much lower than the Ford, but who wants to do 150mph in an SUV anyway ?
Wychwood

Post by Wychwood »

I agree with “old man”. I live in the Cotswolds and for a while I always went for 4WD. Best car I probably ever owned was a BMW 330d X Drive Touring. However, the number of times I actually benefitted from 4WD was very limited. I also am very pleased with my Tucson 230 Ultimate 2WD HEV. It is very comfortable, spacious, has lots of tech and after 2000 miles I am averaging 49.4 mpg. I believe this model is the pick of the bunch and represents excellent value for money.
VB32

Post by VB32 »

It’s very hard to use any of the Focus RS performance with reduced speed limits on local roads and speed bumps. Hybrid Tucson sounds perfect vehicle for navigating todays roads and bumps. Fuel consumption sounds fantastic around double my current car.

Will do some phoning around tomorrow for best price on Hybrid Tucson and delivery times. I’ve looked on Autoebid website for idea of what to pay for new Hybrid Tucson Ultimate model. I am willing to travel for right price, which is normally case - as local dealers in South Wales area for most manufacturers not willing to be competitive for your business.

Hopefully will be able to update on new car order soon.

Thanks again for all information and advice old man and Wychwood 👍
Wychwood

Post by Wychwood »

I bought mine at Marshall Hyundai Worcester which is not too far from you. They were very competitive earlier in the year but their prices quoted on Autotrader seem to have gone up a little. Paid £32950 for the 230 Ultimate HEV in silver metallic. Deposit paid in mid Jan and picked up car end of March. Autoebid was cheaper but they quoted 6 month delivery. You may be aware that delivery times on the Tucson are pretty hit and miss and can depend on model; those with optional tech pack have taken longer to come through and not sure that option is still available. Some have been fortunate taking advantage of cancelled orders. Lots of info on this forum.
Good luck!
VB32

Post by VB32 »

Yours is the exact specification I would like, I’ll give them a call as not too far from me, Autoebid are quoting around £32,500 for 230 Ultimate HEV in shimmering Silver - but i’m happy to pay little bit more for quicker delivery slot.

Thank you 👍

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post