Insurance premiums

Suggestions & Help using the Hyundai Tucson Forums
KeithB1

Post by KeithB1 »

Hi all. I've just had my renewal quote come from LV and it's up nearly 30% on last year for no apparent reason. I also own a Jaguar XF 3ltr diesel and that's up only 7%. I couldn't get the premium down on the phone, and most of the quotes from the comparison sites are even worse. Is it something I said or is this a common occurrence this year?

terryp

Post by terryp »

I've just changed from Saga as I take my car to Portugal each year and need the European cover for an extended period. I've gone with LV and saved myself nearly £100 as LV give European cover for 6 months and that's enough for me.
A friend of mine has also changed to LV and saved money so either you have been paying very little in the past or remember that cheap deals for new customers are a thing of the past now.
Tucson Ultimate Auto 230PS in Dark Teal. Love it!!
old man

Post by old man »

so either you have been paying very little in the past
I wondered this too.
It was 6 months ago now when I bought my car. I was insured with LV through Lloyds bank and I had 3 months left on my policy which I was prepared to forego and seek out insurance with another company.
Lloyds offered to amend my policy for the new Tucson and restart the policy to run for another full year, at what I considered to be a fair price. I took their offer.
Yes, virtually everything is going up in price - unfairly in a lot of cases, but I'd urge you to shop around.
None of us can exactly compare our insurance quotes because our circumstances vary, but if you want to reveal your age, where you live etc etc, plus how much your quote was, then others can say whether your quote is substantially more than theirs.
Tucson N Line S 2WD Hybrid Auto
dbrewood

Post by dbrewood »

I've just had my renewal quote through from LV. Insurance was for a Pug 2008 GT and no extra cost for moving on to the Tuc. Renewal time (4 weeks later) it's gone from £264.52 to £347.73. I'll be looking around!
Car: Hyundai Tucson Ultimate Hybrid in Dark Knight w Tech Pack
Soon to be a Kona N-Line S Hybrid w Lux pack in Denim Blue
old man

Post by old man »

Two different cars, so not directly comparable.

Just as an exercise I've done a Compare the Market quote. This obviously won't be the same for everyone, but for me @ 72 years old, living in a village in Somerset, full NCB, clean licence, no accidents or claims recently. Car parked on drive, 8000 miles PA, social & domestic cover only.
For a Tucson valued at £38000
£50 Voluntary XS (compulsory XS varies)
NCB Protected
Courtesy car
Motor Legal Protection
Fully Comprehensive

I think I've covered about everything and for that I get quotes ranging from £221 up to £1044
LV themselves came in at £296 which is more than I paid in Feb.
Obviously £1044 is ridiculous but a price of £221 is pretty good I think, and £296 from LV is acceptable to me in this day and age, especially considering what young'uns and people living in urban areas and big cities have to pay.

One thing I like about insuring through Lloyds (with LV) is that I can still get to speak to a person, which seems to be getting more rare these days.
Wychwood

Post by Wychwood »

For comparison I paid £287.20 with Direct Line. Very similar cover - £100 compulsory excess (£0 voluntary), protected NCB. It was £65 more than the previous year for a new Skoda Karoq Sportline. Tucson value obviously higher.
old man

Post by old man »

It'll be interesting to see what others have paid/been quoted, especially the OP.
terryp

Post by terryp »

I changed for Saga to LV when I took delivery of my Tucson and saved nearly £100. (see reasons previous post).
It hurts me to say it but I'm six years older than oldman but I've renewed Comprehensive, many years NCB, £100 excess, Legal Protection, no courtesy car (I live in town and can walk practically anywhere I want).
LV is actually cheaper than my previous Renault Kadjar at £269.
Tucson Ultimate Auto 230PS in Dark Teal. Love it!!
KeithB1

Post by KeithB1 »

Good morning all. Last year my premiums were £203 for the Jag and £320 for the Tucson. This year £218 and £414, that's for me and the wife on the Jag and both of us plus our daughter om the Tucson. The only thing that's changed is we're all a year older73,72 and 40 respectively. I've actually just sold the Jag so my multi car discount disappeared and the Tucson went up £2! I've been with LV for several years so we weren't new customers last year. When I queried this year's rise I was just told it was down to the underwriters and there was nothing LV could do. I got some more quotes from the comparison sites yesterday and the only cheaper quotes were from outfits I'd never heard of. I'm going to try ringing some other comps over the next few days but don't hold out much hope.
dbrewood

Post by dbrewood »

Yep I did the the spent a lot of time of various sites and ended up accepting the LV increase.
Car: Hyundai Tucson Ultimate Hybrid in Dark Knight w Tech Pack
Soon to be a Kona N-Line S Hybrid w Lux pack in Denim Blue

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post