Sailing

All Hyundai Tucson related discussions
Sloss69

Post by Sloss69 »

My 48v MHEV goes sailing from time to time as it’s supposed to.

However does the engine actually stop or just stop getting fuel as it’s all very seamless.

I’d like to know the logic of it all, motor sizes, torque converter etc.

Anyone know?i

Stew

XADE

Post by XADE »

What do you mean sailing?
2022 Ultimate - Phantom Black
Mar10

Post by Mar10 »

I presume he means coasting?
PhilHornby

Post by PhilHornby »

Sloss69 wrote: Wed Sep 06, 2023 6:22 pm I’d like to know the logic of it all, motor sizes, torque converter etc.
I think you will have to go searching :(

I had exactly the same attitude regarding my HEV. I've pieced together snippets from all kinds of sources and you may have to do the same. The old copies of the Hyundai site at the Wayback Machine may have some info. (I think the MHEV is now officially discontinued). I found a great animation of the HEV system - but it was as implemented on the Sonata in 2011 :!:

(I thought it was all the latest, greatest technology - but it turns out it's actually quite old hat.)
N Line S Hybrid (HEV).
23 plate - built Nov '22
Sloss69

Post by Sloss69 »

Yes, it is Coasting however in the driver’s display it says ‘Sailing’!

Difficult to find much technical data on the car at all but I quite like it so far….. (since June 23)

Thanks for your interest 👍
Mar10

Post by Mar10 »

Sloss69 wrote: Thu Sep 07, 2023 9:26 am Yes, it is Coasting however in the driver’s display it says ‘Sailing’!

Difficult to find much technical data on the car at all but I quite like it so far….. (since June 23)

Thanks for your interest 👍
Oh that’s interesting, so it actually displays a message on the dash that tells you when it’s ‘sailing’? I would guess that it’s just cutting fuel flow.

I’ve never really been sure what the mild hybrid does though. What makes it ‘mild’? Does it have a motor still or does it just harvest energy for auxiliary functions?
PhilHornby

Post by PhilHornby »

N Line S Hybrid (HEV).
23 plate - built Nov '22
OzJock

Post by OzJock »

Good link Phil.

And coasting=sailing. 😀. Would love to know if that’s a deliberate funny or an odd translation. Has anyone looked up other European languages?

I’m sure I read another manufacturers MHEV implementation switches off the engine and puts the car in neutral or disengages the clutch when coasting to avoid engine braking. It also disengages the starter/generator all with the aim of maintaining momentum. Then as the above video shows the starter/generator sends power back to the battery when braking.
Not 100% certain Hyundai does all this but aren’t all the Tucson MHEVs paired with the 7 speed dual clutch auto to give the MHEV system control over the gearbox? This is a different setup from the 6 speed torque converter auto gearbox & drive motor in the HEV & PHEV.

Tuppence for today
G
2022 Premium 230 HEV
PhilHornby

Post by PhilHornby »

OzJock wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2023 10:43 am Not 100% certain Hyundai does all this but aren’t all the Tucson MHEVs paired with the 7 speed dual clutch auto to give the MHEV system control over the gearbox?
It sounds plausible...
OzJock wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2023 10:43 am This is a different setup from the 6 speed torque converter auto gearbox & drive motor in the HEV & PHEV.
The (P)HEV doesn't use a Torque Converter though; moving off and reversing are always performed using the electric motor. When required, the ICE is started via the HSG (Hybrid Starter Generator), its speed synched to the transmission and the clutch 'dropped'. That's the point where the "EV" light goes out.

UPDATED - After checking the archives, I can only find MHEV's with the DCT gearbox. Also, removed reference to AWD PHEV with 7DCT; despite being offered one in February by a main dealer, I can't find any evidence that such a combination ever existed :o
Last edited by PhilHornby on Fri Sep 15, 2023 1:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
N Line S Hybrid (HEV).
23 plate - built Nov '22
OzJock

Post by OzJock »

Well there we have it and if I’ve left some of you lying awake gnashing your teeth over your torque converters and pub bragging number of gear ratios please enjoy the following insomnia curing detail from the horses mouth: (I’m a little embarrassed to say I actually quite enjoy this sort of stuff)
https://www.hyundai.news/eu/articles/pr ... omers.html

But back to sailing=coasting 🤣🤣🤣
2022 Premium 230 HEV