New Tucson GPF light on

Faults and Technical chat for the Hyundai Tucson
XADE

Post by XADE »

Back on again today, cleared it in 20mins but very annoying. I don't think clearing it yourself does enough, next time it's getting booked in.
2022 Ultimate - Phantom Black

Petrifiedwelly

Post by Petrifiedwelly »

I thought I best add to this, as I can see the future TV campaign now “were you mis-sold a Tuscan?” After a 11 month wait I took delivery of my 23 plate on March 1st 23. At 460 miles the exhaust filter warning appeared. In spite of doing all the manual suggested, at a cost of around £7 in fuel at the time, and totting up over 50 useless miles against my annual lease total, the warning remained and a trip to the dealer was needed. I was one of five owners in for the same reason that day. Apparently to rid the dash of the warning, the dealer had stood the car revving so hard that the exhaust manifold and turbo were glowing “cherry red”! WTF, the car isn’t yet close to being run in.
This weekend the warning appeared again, at 4030miles. And after 60 miles in manual ( did I mention I bought an automatic because I didn’t want a manual, or that I chose petrol as I was sick of filters in exhausts ?) with the revs barely below 2500rpm nothing changed. I sat the car on the drive with a brick on the accelerator pedal for 20mins, sweet FA happened, apart from the app telling me to turn the vehicle off as it had been running for 15mins.
After trawling many comments on this and other forums, taking into account the ideas of poor driving, supermarket fuel and short journeys being the cause - and factory software fixes not actually fixing anything, I will just ignore the dashboard and carry on.
These cars are simply not fit for purpose, and Hyundai seem to just bury their head in the sand, their dealer network must love being associated with them. They are going to lose a shed load of repeat business as this customer for one, won’t be taken in again.
XADE

Post by XADE »

Petrifiedwelly wrote: Sun Dec 17, 2023 8:40 pm I thought I best add to this, as I can see the future TV campaign now “were you mis-sold a Tuscan?” After a 11 month wait I took delivery of my 23 plate on March 1st 23. At 460 miles the exhaust filter warning appeared. In spite of doing all the manual suggested, at a cost of around £7 in fuel at the time, and totting up over 50 useless miles against my annual lease total, the warning remained and a trip to the dealer was needed. I was one of five owners in for the same reason that day. Apparently to rid the dash of the warning, the dealer had stood the car revving so hard that the exhaust manifold and turbo were glowing “cherry red”! WTF, the car isn’t yet close to being run in.
This weekend the warning appeared again, at 4030miles. And after 60 miles in manual ( did I mention I bought an automatic because I didn’t want a manual, or that I chose petrol as I was sick of filters in exhausts ?) with the revs barely below 2500rpm nothing changed. I sat the car on the drive with a brick on the accelerator pedal for 20mins, sweet FA happened, apart from the app telling me to turn the vehicle off as it had been running for 15mins.
After trawling many comments on this and other forums, taking into account the ideas of poor driving, supermarket fuel and short journeys being the cause - and factory software fixes not actually fixing anything, I will just ignore the dashboard and carry on.
These cars are simply not fit for purpose, and Hyundai seem to just bury their head in the sand, their dealer network must love being associated with them. They are going to lose a shed load of repeat business as this customer for one, won’t be taken in again.
Revving at a constant amount of revs doesn't do anything. It needs to be a series of 3rd/4th gear 50 to 70mph accelerations, when the car is hot enough. The gpf is cleared when you're decelerating.

You seem to have old advice.
Philr

Post by Philr »

XADE wrote: Sun Dec 24, 2023 9:26 am
Petrifiedwelly wrote: Sun Dec 17, 2023 8:40 pm I thought I best add to this, as I can see the future TV campaign now “were you mis-sold a Tuscan?” After a 11 month wait I took delivery of my 23 plate on March 1st 23. At 460 miles the exhaust filter warning appeared. In spite of doing all the manual suggested, at a cost of around £7 in fuel at the time, and totting up over 50 useless miles against my annual lease total, the warning remained and a trip to the dealer was needed. I was one of five owners in for the same reason that day. Apparently to rid the dash of the warning, the dealer had stood the car revving so hard that the exhaust manifold and turbo were glowing “cherry red”! WTF, the car isn’t yet close to being run in.
Revving at a constant amount of revs doesn't do anything. It needs to be a series of 3rd/4th gear 50 to 70mph accelerations, when the car is hot enough. The gpf is cleared when you're decelerating.

Not sure it's the OP who has old advice as it was the dealer who stood on the loud pedal until the exhaust and turbo were glowing red apparently.
FWIW I agree that Hyundai have a lot to learn about communication and customer service, not just on this issue but others like the reset problem.
I doubt I'll ever buy another Hyundai because of their poor attitude.
Phil

I don't have a carbon footprint because I drive everywhere.

2022 Premium HEV
XADE

Post by XADE »

Philr wrote: Sun Dec 24, 2023 9:33 am
XADE wrote: Sun Dec 24, 2023 9:26 am

Not sure it's the OP who has old advice as it was the dealer who stood on the loud pedal until the exhaust and turbo were glowing red apparently.
FWIW I agree that Hyundai have a lot to learn about communication and customer service, not just on this issue but others like the reset problem.
I doubt I'll ever buy another Hyundai because of their poor attitude.
Agreed but best to know you can clear it yourself and how. Especially if you struggle booking it in anywhere within 50miles when you're due to go away on holiday like us. Luckily I got it sorted (myself) and didn't need to worry about going into limp mode 200 miles from home.

Plus I've heard people getting charged to clear it, which is absolutely horrendous behaviour.
Oreo22

Post by Oreo22 »

I read what you said for the regeneration but that is not correct that's how you regenerate a DPF not GPF .
GPF is a passicsydtem so the cat andcexhsust andcengibe neec to be up to temperature but then you let the car idol at tick over wiwith stop start turned of this durns the soot .
Driving does not allow the passive system to work
This the extract
The GPF will regenerate more easily than a DPF (Diesel Particulate Filter), known as passive regeneration mode and is induced naturally when the driver stops accelerating and the temperature of the filter is hot enough.
So yes
Oreo22

Post by Oreo22 »

You can not ignore warning light because at 3 years old you need mot and any warning light is a fail .
The dealer was right to revise engine to get the system hot then you leave it ticking over until the soot has burnt off.
The car would normally do this but you need to l9ng period of coasting or going down hill as regen does not work under acceleration its the opposite to diesel
Indalo

Post by Indalo »

I’m fed up reading about all these problems afflicting ‘Tuscans’. I’m glad I don’t have one of those!🤔
2023 Tucson Hybrid (HEV) Ultimate; ordered 12/05/23 - collected from dealership 07/06/23.
Big S

Post by Big S »

Indalo wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2024 10:20 am I’m fed up reading about all these problems afflicting ‘Tuscans’. I’m glad I don’t have one of those!🤔
The answer is to be selective in what you open then. To a certain extent I agree with you, but that is the same on a lot of car forums.
XADE

Post by XADE »

Oreo22 wrote: Mon Jan 01, 2024 11:03 pm I read what you said for the regeneration but that is not correct that's how you regenerate a DPF not GPF .
GPF is a passicsydtem so the cat andcexhsust andcengibe neec to be up to temperature but then you let the car idol at tick over wiwith stop start turned of this durns the soot .
Driving does not allow the passive system to work
This the extract
The GPF will regenerate more easily than a DPF (Diesel Particulate Filter), known as passive regeneration mode and is induced naturally when the driver stops accelerating and the temperature of the filter is hot enough.
So yes
Who are you replying to about this? Lots of confusion in these threads, basically to clear this issue on new models, read the NEW advice here only:

New Instruction:

When the GPF warning light illuminate, please perform the following driving pattern to activate the GPF driving regeneration. (Speed >80km/h (50 mph), 3rd or higher gear with engine rpm between 2500-4000 rpm)

Drive over 80km/h (50mph) in 3rd gear Accelerate up to 4000 rpm, release acceleration pedal, wait 5 sec and accelerate again to 4000 rpm.

Continuously repeat this process until the GPF warning lamp will switch off.

In case of DCT (dual-clutch transmission) is necessary you switch to SPORT mode and change gear manually to 3rd or higher gear then follow mentioned procedure.

In case you drive over 30min / or the GPF Warning starts blinking (at this time LCD warning message will be displayed, we recommend you, to let the GPF system be checked by an authorized workshop

Notes from Hypermiler.

As you may know, GPF regeneration is performed on deceleration so the updated process contained in the updated service information is expected. We welcome updated service information releases like this from dealers to help clarify how to perform filter regenerations. If only all manufacturers were so forthcoming.

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post