New Tucson GPF light on

Faults and Technical chat for the Hyundai Tucson
XADE

Post by XADE »

old man wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 4:21 pm
I don't like to even admit that this should be anything to do with driving style though, this is completely on the manufacturer for me, or at least overly aggressive eco standards.
I think that driving style is a misnomer, the problem is caused by distances travelled, not by the way anyone pilots their car and nobody should feel guilty when their warning light illuminates. As I've said before and it's mentioned in the Motorbilty thread, the buying public should be made aware before puchasing that the type of journeys they'll undertake can/will cause GPF problems.
Bottom line here; Hyundai/Kia have got something very wrong here and they need to rectify it asap for current owners and going forward. They appear not to have done their R&D religiously and are leaving the buying public to do it for them. This really should not be happening, especially after the known problems with DPFs and those owners having the problem should be shouting it as loudly as possible at their dealers, social media and any other format that brings it to the attention of Hyundai/Kia and the general buying public.
Slowing their sales and giving them a bad reputation is what will hurt them most.
However we pay for our cars, thay are costing us a lot of money and we are entitled to expect better from the manufacturer.
Totally agree.

The 20mins of high speed / low gear made no difference, and the engine breaking from 70 to 50 for 20mins didn't seem to knock the light off either.

Hopefully getting a call back tomorrow from dealership, but what a sickener.

Edit: apparent update here https://www.hypermiler.co.uk/gasoline-p ... ning-error
2022 Ultimate - Phantom Black

XADE

Post by XADE »

I managed to book in next Tuesday with Read Motor Group near me (Worksop). This is after trying another 50miles run which seems to be completely pointless in most cases.

The lady who took my call seemed very aware of the issue, and told me it may take up to an hour (I assume to regen).

Will post any other info after I've been.
XADE

Post by XADE »

Well, it's back from the dealership, and was no fuss at all. Main points:

- 30min job
- Covered under warranty, I did ask to check in case it would be a one-off
- Rather large hint that I would be back to sort it again.

So it's not being addressed (fixed) by Hyundai with any sort of update but sounds like they've accepted the issue, or at least my dealership has. Hopefully they are at least extending the parameters in which the exhaust filter warning comes on.

A shame it happens but a positive experience with Hyundai Worksop again.
Berty

Post by Berty »

I'm pleased it went well, and hopefully will go well again in the future, as you say you'll be back. It can be hit and miss with dealers and I'm glad you have a good one.
Based in Ireland :mrgreen:
2023 Tucson Executive Plus PHEV
old man

Post by old man »

Semi good news then, shame all dealers don't treat it the same as your did.
So it's not being addressed (fixed) by Hyundai with any sort of update but sounds like they've accepted the issue, or at least my dealership has.
Hyundai are aware and are purported to be collecting data from dealers before deciding whether or not to try and find a fix.
It's my experience with the dealers of other manufacturers that they are very unlikely to undertake work that hasn't been okayed by head office because they probably won't get paid for it.
I do know that Hyundai keep a very tight rein on what dealers are allowed to do, so your dealer must know they would get paid for the work they carried out on your car by Hyundai.
Tucson N Line S 2WD Hybrid Auto
XADE

Post by XADE »

old man wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 12:15 pm Semi good news then, shame all dealers don't treat it the same as your did.
So it's not being addressed (fixed) by Hyundai with any sort of update but sounds like they've accepted the issue, or at least my dealership has.
Hyundai are aware and are purported to be collecting data from dealers before deciding whether or not to try and find a fix.
It's my experience with the dealers of other manufacturers that they are very unlikely to undertake work that hasn't been okayed by head office because they probably won't get paid for it.
I do know that Hyundai keep a very tight rein on what dealers are allowed to do, so your dealer must know they would get paid for the work they carried out on your car by Hyundai.
Yes I think that's probably where the line gets drawn in regards to a good experience, being paid. I don't know how these things work but surely they've all been told by now that it's a covered bit of work, maybe it was more of a grey area when the first few cars started getting it.

From what I read on the Motability forums, some were reporting the warning after a thousand miles or less!
Last edited by XADE on Tue Feb 14, 2023 9:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Philr

Post by Philr »

Maybe, just maybe, you've got a half decent dealer who is looking to the future rather than just next quarters costs/sales. The fix for them is plug in a PC and let it do it's thing, costs them next to nothing but may make you want to go back to them when you come to change cars which, may be sooner rather than later if it keeps happening.
Phil

I don't have a carbon footprint because I drive everywhere.

2022 Premium HEV
XADE

Post by XADE »

Philr wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 3:33 pm Maybe, just maybe, you've got a half decent dealer who is looking to the future rather than just next quarters costs/sales. The fix for them is plug in a PC and let it do it's thing, costs them next to nothing but may make you want to go back to them when you come to change cars which, may be sooner rather than later if it keeps happening.
Absolutely, and I probably would, they're certainly the closest and now my ideal place to go for a service too. If I'd have been charged today or messed around I certainly wouldn't be going there.
Parksy1977

Post by Parksy1977 »

I am over in the UK and suffering the same issue.

My Tucson is just over a year old with 12k miles and has a few weeks ago popped the GPF light on the dash.
Tried the suggested steps to clear and no luck.

It is in the garage tomorrow and the dealer has told me that an ECU update released on the 20th of February was released by Hyundai that will be installed to resolve the issue?

I see all these posts pre date this release date so hopeful this may be the fix you have all been waiting on!
XADE

Post by XADE »

Parksy1977 wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 12:54 pm I am over in the UK and suffering the same issue.

My Tucson is just over a year old with 12k miles and has a few weeks ago popped the GPF light on the dash.
Tried the suggested steps to clear and no luck.

It is in the garage tomorrow and the dealer has told me that an ECU update released on the 20th of February was released by Hyundai that will be installed to resolve the issue?

I see all these posts pre date this release date so hopeful this may be the fix you have all been waiting on!
Mine was about 3 days before :lol: but yeah, I am confident now that even if the PPF light comes on it'll get resolved, and under warranty.

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post