Petrol particulate filter

All Hyundai Tucson related discussions
Philr

Post by Philr »

That is probably illegal and would almost certainly cause the boys in blue to stop and maybe prosecute if they were following.
What planet are Hyundai on?
Phil

I don't have a carbon footprint because I drive everywhere.

2022 Premium HEV

alanchemist

Post by alanchemist »

I have had my Tuscon, since last Jan and had the same problem in March but the tech at the dealership told me to drive for 40mins in 4th gear with rev 3000-4000 which did clear the problem. Its just happened again a day before i had it booked in for a service and was told to drive at 70mph in 4th gear for 30mins to clear the problem. I don't have a racetrack nearby so to consistently drive at 70mph for 30mins is not that easy around London.
However I did drive for around an hour in 3rd gear with revs of 3500 and that didn't work.
I presume its more about engine revs that it is about speed or any particular gear.
Paul_P1

Post by Paul_P1 »

This has just happened to my wife's 1.6 Petrol supplied in January last year. Going in for a service next week so will have it reset there. Surely this shouldn't be happening to a petrol car, regardless how it's driven.
EJH

Post by EJH »

alanchemist wrote: Fri Dec 16, 2022 5:18 pm I have had my Tuscon, since last Jan and had the same problem in March but the tech at the dealership told me to drive for 40mins in 4th gear with rev 3000-4000 which did clear the problem. Its just happened again a day before i had it booked in for a service and was told to drive at 70mph in 4th gear for 30mins to clear the problem. I don't have a racetrack nearby so to consistently drive at 70mph for 30mins is not that easy around London.
However I did drive for around an hour in 3rd gear with revs of 3500 and that didn't work.
I presume its more about engine revs that it is about speed or any particular gear.
That is unacceptable for a modern piece of machinery. How on earth did this method pass muster? To ask a customer to rev the heiney off a car at a set speed for a set time isn't a reasonable request. This (I believe) doesn't affect my Hybrid, but I feel your pain driving an ICE manual!. Hyundai and others (EU driven) have to change this energy wasteful demand on its end users. Madness imho.
Ultimate 230 Hybrid+Tech pack, Teal & moss grey
Ordered Mar 26th '22
Collected Nov 2nd 2022
31 weeks 4 days :shock: :roll: :roll:
Paul_P1

Post by Paul_P1 »

As per my previous post. The light came on today on the school run. Just been out for 20 minutes and followed the updated advice on how to trigger a regen and it appears to have worked, the light is off and has stayed off. I'm lucky that I stay near a road that is ideal for doing this, not everyone will be as lucky.
daibill

Post by daibill »

Just out of my own curiosity and as an owner of an unaffected (so far )near 8k mile ICE car.....

How often does the engine on a hybrid kick in for town/ short range journeys?
Now I have never owned anything electrified so no 1st hand experience but...... in my head, if a hybrid's engine does not run that much on trips like this, therefore it does not really get up to temperature which means it's running more under cold start conditions therefore richer therefore more "particulates" and it doesn't get the opportunity to do the decelerate method of cleaning the GPF as the engine is off, Then you would have thought the opposite should be true... and that the hybrid's should be equally if not more affected due to the way the engine is under-used on such trips and only cleaned on longer trips..

Or am I talking absolute twaddle??? Happy to be corrected.. :-)
2022 1.6 Manual Premium Engine Red
Red ones are faster! ;)
old man

Post by old man »

Or am I talking absolute twaddle??? Happy to be corrected.
Common sense dictates that what you say should be the case and I have asked the same question at my dealer to the head tech.
He had no answer at the time, or at least not one he was willing to share.
I put it to him that maybe the fact petrol only models are affected and the hybrid isn't (to my knowledge anyway) could be down to a differering software progrmme, which he agreed could be the case.
Getting info about problems such as these from Hyundai is like getting blood out of a stone.
As with DPFs, it is going to affect short trip cars e.g. school runs etc, more than those that do longer trips and thereby get the engines up to full working temperature.
Tucson N Line S 2WD Hybrid Auto
old man

Post by old man »

Paul_P1 wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 10:23 am This has just happened to my wife's 1.6 Petrol supplied in January last year. Going in for a service next week so will have it reset there. Surely this shouldn't be happening to a petrol car, regardless how it's driven.
When I first learned that GPFs were being fitted to petrol vehicles, I made enquiries about the possible effects they might have. I was assured that they wouldn't affect petrol cars in the way that they did diesels.
Got that wrong didn't they, although as far as I know it's not being reported as much as diesels were.
Whilst I agree that this is a very poor show on a modern car, the fact of the matter is, even before the advent of DPFs and GPFs it was always a bad idea to use vehicles for short journeys where the engine never reached full operating temperature and although manufactureres and dealers won't tell you as much, anyone buying a car such as the Tucson for school runs and shopping has bought the wrong car. Something with a smaller engine that heats up faster would be better suited.
When I say heated up, I don't mean when the temp gauge shows 90 degrees (or whatever the optimum temp is on any particular vehicle), I mean when the whole engine and working parts are all up to temp, which typically takes 12 - 15 miles.
My wife and I both had VAG cars with the 1.5 Tsi petrol engine before we got the Tucson. They were mostly used for shortish journeys with the odd longer one thrown in and neither one gave problems. What type of trips does your wife undertake ?
xtrailman

Post by xtrailman »

I've read today that hybrids don't have a PPF / gpf
old man

Post by old man »

xtrailman wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 3:44 pm I've read today that hybrids don't have a PPF / gpf
If that's true, it would explain why we've seen no reported cases of problematic GPFs in the Hybrid. Considering the stop/start nature of the hybrid, it would make sense too.
However, I'd like to see evidence of what you saw, as the head tech at my dealer certainly wasn't aware of this 9 months ago.
A word of caution here also; As far as I know, you have a Kia and although Kia and Hyundai are owned by the same group and much is common between the two models, it cannot be taken as read that both cars are identical under the skin.

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post