May 2022 Update

All Hyundai Tucson related discussions
Beards

Post by Beards »

old man wrote: Thu Sep 22, 2022 11:09 am My part has arrived and car booked in for 6th Oct.
Considering that Hyundai Technical have come up with two completely different fixes (mine and Terryp) for the same problem, if either one of them works I'll give up G & T - for a night :shock:
If you give up G&T for a night I will offer counselling that day free of charge.
Tucson PHEV Ultimate + Tech Pack. Amazon Grey/Moss Grey
Ordered: 10 May 2022
Estimated Delivery: Oct/Nov/Dec/Jan/Feb 2022/23
Dealers: 28 Feb 2023
Pick up: 08 Mar 2023
Refused: 08 Mar 2023
New Order: 08 Mar 2023
Picked up: 18 Jan 2024

old man

Post by old man »

Beards wrote: Thu Sep 22, 2022 11:27 am
old man wrote: Thu Sep 22, 2022 11:09 am My part has arrived and car booked in for 6th Oct.
Considering that Hyundai Technical have come up with two completely different fixes (mine and Terryp) for the same problem, if either one of them works I'll give up G & T - for a night :shock:
If you give up G&T for a night I will offer counselling that day free of charge.
That's very generous and I my well need it :D
Tucson N Line S 2WD Hybrid Auto
old man

Post by old man »

My part has arrived and car booked in for 6th Oct.
Considering that Hyundai Technical have come up with two completely different fixes (mine and Terryp) for the same problem, if either one of them works I'll give up G & T - for a night

Further to this affair and it's going nowhere fast !!
Rang my dealer yesterday to see if the fuse box swap could be done whilst I waited, but a consultation with the technician revealed that it's not a quick job and involves taking some of the dash apart !
This immediately raised visions of broken plastic parts, poor workmanship and a dash that squeaks and rattles into the future. As no explanation was given as to why replacing the fuse box would do any good, and bearing in mind that I'm virtually certain the cause of our resets lies elsewhere, plus I paid a lot of money for this car, I rang Customer services and explained the situation to a school leaver ( not her fault). It's not possible to speak to Technical directly, but the young lady said she'd email Technical and at my behest, get them to explain why they thought changing a fuse box would cure the reset problem.
Today I received a reply from Technical Via the young lady (bless her) and here it is;

“I have had a response from the technical team and they have stated that the multi fuse and fuse box cover is to be replaced per bulletin as the fuse rating has changed to prevent any risk of damage if there is a future fault with the HECU (Hydraulic Electronic Control Unit). This method has been tested and we are happy with the outcome on previous repairs. Once fitted the vehicle can be used as normal “

As I suspected, this has nothing to do with curing the resets and looks more like a recall for another matter. Anyone else been offered to have their fuse box replaced ??
As it stands I'm not prepared to let them loose on my car knowing that it won't cure the reset problem, but I will visit the dealer shortly to find out what exactly the job entails and what the possible consequences of not having the work carried could be.

Terryp: In the course of Googling what HECU is, ECUs cropped up. I'd always understood that a car only had one ECU, but apparently there's several and they control all sorts of functions, so maybe your dealer is on the right track.

Also, I was with my brother in law today who is an engineer trained in the RAF, worked on Tornados and knows lots about vehicles with engines. He asked if I was pleased with my car, to which I replied, “ yes, except for the reset problem we're having”. Before I'd finished explaining he knew exactly what I was talking about, knew it was a battery problem and said that manufacturers fitting batteries with too small a capacity have been around for quite a while.
terryp

Post by terryp »

old man wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 2:55 pm Terryp: In the course of Googling what HECU is, ECUs cropped up. I'd always understood that a car only had one ECU, but apparently there's several and they control all sorts of functions, so maybe your dealer is on the right track.
Here's an update on my situation.
My dealer was ready to change the ECU in my car but as I had not experienced a reset for about 3 weeks I (foolishly) asked him to hold tight to see if the Hard Reset had indeed improved things.
Well, two resets in three days later I contacted him again but in that time the car that was to be the donor had been sold so I'm waiting for a suitable donor to arrive which I'm told will be mid October. My fault.
Understandably, they want to use an ECU from an identical car.
In the meantime here's a reply from Hyundai which doesn't state anything new and doesn't add anything to the situation.
I'm operating under "Driver 1" so her last paragraph isn't relevant either.

"I have contacted our Technical Team regarding your concerns who have explained that there seem to be a lot of issues here and as a result, they would recommend that your local Hyundai Retailer raise a technical case and provide images to our Technical Team of the issues rather than just a hard reset. My best advice would therefore be to book your vehicle in with your local Retailer at your earliest convenience so that this can be actioned.
Our Technical Team have also suggested that setting the climate control and setting through the AVN unit under the driver 1, driver 2 profiles may help for setting the temperature."
Tucson Ultimate Auto 230PS in Dark Teal. Love it!!
old man

Post by old man »

dbrewood; I spoke to the tech again today about trickle charging and told him which one I have and asked if a special one is needed for our battery. I told him mine is rated to charge AGM batteries and he said that would be fine, as would any others of the same standard.
An update here to the above statement I made.
I wrote the above in good faith after having specifically asked the tech at my dealership if the 12V lithium battery in my HEV could be trickle charged and if the AA brand of charger I already owned was suitable for the job. He answered yes to both questions.
During a conversation yesterday with my brother in law who knows far more about these things than I do, he told me to delve further into trickle charging my battery.
So I spoke to Google, who replied that a lithium battery should NOT be trickle charged. It can be jump started as outlined in the manual and can be charged up using a normal charger, but it has to be the right type of charger.
Apparently CTEK make a charger that is suitable for charging the 12V lithium battery, so on my own behalf I'm going to follow up on that and the best way to get a charge into my battery in the sorry event of it going flat.

I would advise anyone thinking of charging their battery to do their own research to make sure they use/buy the correct kit. Things ain't as simple as they used to with these new fangled systems !!

My sincere apologies if I've led anyone up the garden path in this matter, but as I said, I made the statement in good faith and if I can't trust the tech at my dealer to instruct me how to care for my car, who can I trust ??
EJH

Post by EJH »

old man wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 9:15 am
dbrewood; I spoke to the tech again today about trickle charging and told him which one I have and asked if a special one is needed for our battery. I told him mine is rated to charge AGM batteries and he said that would be fine, as would any others of the same standard.
I wrote the above in good faith after having specifically asked the tech at my dealership if the 12V lithium battery in my HEV could be trickle charged and if the AA brand of charger I already owned was suitable for the job. He answered yes to both questions.
During a conversation yesterday with my brother in law who knows far more about these things than I do, he told me to delve further into trickle charging my battery.
So I spoke to Google, who replied that a lithium battery should NOT be trickle charged. It can be jump started as outlined in the manual and can be charged up using a normal charger, but it has to be the right type of charger.
Apparently CTEK make a charger that is suitable for charging the 12V lithium battery, so on my own behalf I'm going to follow up on that and the best way to get a charge into my battery in the sorry event of it going flat.

I would advise anyone thinking of charging their battery to do their own research to make sure they use/buy the correct kit. Things ain't as simple as they used to with these new fangled systems !!

My sincere apologies if I've led anyone up the garden path in this matter, but as I said, I made the statement in good faith and if I can't trust the tech at my dealer to instruct me how to care for my car, who can I trust ??
Not a problem Old Man. I think everything on here that's a point of view or advise type, is taken as in good faith. After all, we're all in this together & trying to get the best for everyone as owners & potential owners of the Tucson.
Ultimate 230 Hybrid+Tech pack, Teal & moss grey
Ordered Mar 26th '22
Collected Nov 2nd 2022
31 weeks 4 days :shock: :roll: :roll:
old man

Post by old man »

EJH wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 11:26 am

Not a problem Old Man. I think everything on here that's a point of view or advise type, is taken as in good faith. After all, we're all in this together & trying to get the best for everyone as owners & potential owners of the Tucson.
Thanks EJH, my worry was that there's all sorts of folk here, some who know lots, some who know little and some who know nothing about how a car operates. The latter two categories might include some who would take what I wrote as gospel, use the wrong equipment to charge their battery which could in turn hurt the battery, after which Hyundai could refuse to honour any guarantee on the battery and any associated components and I wouldn't want to be the cause of that.
EJH

Post by EJH »

old man wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 11:46 am
EJH wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 11:26 am

Thanks EJH, my worry was that there's all sorts of folk here, some who know lots, some who know little and some who know nothing about how a car operates. The latter two categories might include some who would take what I wrote as gospel, use the wrong equipment to charge their battery which could in turn hurt the battery, after which Hyundai could refuse to honour any guarantee on the battery and any associated components and I wouldn't want to be the cause of that.
Fully understood OM.
Though I'm of the mind that personal responsibility of your £30k - £40k pride & joy is just that. Recommendations or advise outside of the Hyundai network should always be considered as a personal choice to make, not on hearsay.
On a positive note see attached.

Screenshot_20220930-125035_Samsung Internet.jpg

Ordered Mar 26th '22
Collected Nov 2nd 2022
alan sh

Post by alan sh »

Yes, I saw that in What Car. They obviously don't see this forum. Maybe someone should tell them.
Alan

I own a 2022 Ultimate Hybrid with Tech Pack - in Red (best colour).
Also have two motorcycles. Honda CB1300 and Honda CBF1000 (also red, of course).
EJH

Post by EJH »

alan sh wrote: Sat Oct 01, 2022 7:11 am Yes, I saw that in What Car. They obviously don't see this forum. Maybe someone should tell them.
I'll stick my neck out & say all the forums of all the other makes & models will have their own gripes I'm sure. Nature of the beast & all that 😉
Ordered Mar 26th '22
Collected Nov 2nd 2022

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post