Battery Reset & Dead Battery (HEV)

All Hyundai Tucson related discussions
Astraken

Post by Astraken »

Hi all ,
I’ve had the usual problem a few times of AC resetting etc but this morning my Tucson HEV wouldn’t unlock. After a few minutes I’ve managed to unlock with the key and was hoping to just press reset button and drive for 30 minutes to recharge 12v battery. However when I attempt to press this and start the car the alarm goes off and the car won’t start with the message ‘key fob not present’ -any ideas what I do now other than call AA or wait til Tuesday for dealer service dept to advise ?

old man

Post by old man »

Astraken wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 11:05 am Hi all ,
I’ve had the usual problem a few times of AC resetting etc but this morning my Tucson HEV wouldn’t unlock. After a few minutes I’ve managed to unlock with the key and was hoping to just press reset button and drive for 30 minutes to recharge 12v battery. However when I attempt to press this and start the car the alarm goes off and the car won’t start with the message ‘key fob not present’ -any ideas what I do now other than call AA or wait til Tuesday for dealer service dept to advise ?
Fortunately I haven't had to do this yet, but the instructions state that after pressing the battery reset button, you must press the engine start button within 15 secs. If you don't, the reset button has to be pressed again.
I have on a couple of occasions had the "key fob not present" warning. The fob is normally in my pocket, so I take it out and hold it nearer to the dash. Might not work for you, but worth a try.
Tucson N Line S 2WD Hybrid Auto
Astraken

Post by Astraken »

It seems that the 12v battery was too depleted to perform reset, AA came out with 1hr and jump started . I’ve now been for 30 min drive and all seems ok. I usually drive it most days and and for more than a few miles but the last two weeks I’ve just done a few short trips. Must remember to give it a regular longer drive !!
old man

Post by old man »

Astraken wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 1:57 pm It seems that the 12v battery was too depleted to perform reset, AA came out with 1hr and jump started . I’ve now been for 30 min drive and all seems ok. I usually drive it most days and and for more than a few miles but the last two weeks I’ve just done a few short trips. Must remember to give it a regular longer drive !!

I find that surprising. As I understand it, pressing the reset button enables the 12V battery to take on a charge from the larger traction battery enabling the car to start.
Your situation indicates that there wasn't enough charge in the traction battery (unusual), or the system malfunctioned and didn't allow enough charge from the traction battery to reach the 12V battery.
Although the 12V battery holds little charge and is very easily depleted, if your situation repeats itself, I'd be tempted to take it to your dealer to make sure the reset function is working as it should be, after all, that's what it's there for and should start the car.
alan sh

Post by alan sh »

I also think you have to hold they key right up to the start button - I vaguely remember something about that in the manual.
Alan

I own a 2022 Ultimate Hybrid with Tech Pack - in Red (best colour).
Also have two motorcycles. Honda CB1300 and Honda CBF1000 (also red, of course).
old man

Post by old man »

alan sh wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 5:25 pm I also think you have to hold they key right up to the start button - I vaguely remember something about that in the manual.
That's what I've done as a matter of course, but it's a titbit worth knowing - thanks Alan.
Astraken

Post by Astraken »

I tried holding the fob touching start button but still didn’t work. As suggested if it happens again I’ll contact my dealer
alan sh

Post by alan sh »

Astraken wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 9:34 pm I tried holding the fob touching start button but still didn’t work. As suggested if it happens again I’ll contact my dealer
Thinking further, I think that is for when the keyfob battery is dead or not communicating with the car.

Alan
Alan

I own a 2022 Ultimate Hybrid with Tech Pack - in Red (best colour).
Also have two motorcycles. Honda CB1300 and Honda CBF1000 (also red, of course).

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post